Which brands produce a nice sound quality sub?

I've always wondered how one defines a SQ sub. A sub's job is to play low notes. It's not like a speaker where you expect words to be clean and clear. Honest question really.
Main difference is SQ subs aren't nearly as peaky and have little to no distortion. End result is having clarity and fidelity while being able to hear every single frequency of the song nice and clear which is what most SPL subs lack.

Not all low notes are created equal. It's like saying both cars are technically 400 horsepower while ignoring that the inferior car has worst tires, worst transmission, and is running stock suspension. You can't just say "uhh well there both cars and both go fast right ?"

It's not like a speaker where you expect words to be clean and clear.
Being clean, clear, and accurate is literally the whole point of a SQ sub. I'm confused as to why you think those attributes apply to a door speaker but not a subwoofer ?

Last edited:
Being clean, clear, and accurate is literally the whole point of a SQ sub. I'm confused as to why you think those attributes apply to a speaker but not a subwoofer ?
Are you actually confused or do you think you sound smart? You don't recognize there's a difference in the way our ears and brain process words/speech verses bass?

You don't recognize there's a difference in the way our ears and brain process words/speech verses bass?
No i'm fully aware but it doesn't change what I said. Those attributes you listed (accurate, clean, clear) are still prevalent regardless if it's bass or words. It might not be as harsh or quite as prevalent but it's still there (your brain processing the frequency different doesn't mean those attributes are no longer exist or aren't noticeable)

I'm DD guy my self but not everyone shares my enthusiasm for them.
Out of your list I would say FI. For the price they are great subs.
That being said you can have the greatest subs in the world but if your box is not right you might as well put a bazooka tube back there.

I'm DD guy my self but not everyone shares my enthusiasm for them.
Out of your list I would say FI. For the price they are great subs.
That being said you can have the greatest subs in the world but if your box is not right you might as well put a bazooka tube back there.
Too bad DD isn't what they once were but I still have about 30 DD original subs to keep me busy

Too bad DD isn't what they once were but I still have about 30 DD original subs to keep me busy
Don't know what you mean by this.

There speaker catalog is better now (including more Neo options), there famous powertuned subwoofer series has not only gone through 2 more revisions but allows now for more custom options, and there famous M series amplifiers are still over-built korean amps.

DD has gotten better with age

Maybe not 30 but I have a few laying around myself
Couple of 2512's, couple of 3512's
A stack of amps from that era and beyond (Theres a RF power 800a2 somewhere collecting dust in my basement)
Right now I'm building a box for my 3510 (dual 2) witch I'm going to run with an old M1d
I have a storage space under my stairs that's just older car audio but I'd trade it all to be able to put a aftermarket HU in.
Stupid new cars, nothing sounds as good after you have it running off an 8 volt eclipse.

Don't know what you mean by this.

There speaker catalog is better now (including more Neo options), there famous powertuned subwoofer series has not only gone through 2 more revisions but allows now for more custom options, and there famous M series amplifiers are still over-built korean amps.

DD has gotten better with age
I'm also not a huge fan of the direction they're going with the 95xx series, but that's likely what the market demands. I'd still have high expectations from their American made lineup and the 99XX is probably the only in production 4" coil woofer I'd consider running.

As to the OP, you should be able to make almost anything play flat from 20-80hz if you build a proper box, take some time playing with location/orientation in the car, and use EQ and time alignment. Kicker Solo X won SQ competitions in the past. You shouldn't need to pay a grand for a 600W sub to get the job done. More important would be to decide how loud you're trying to get and precisely how much space you're willing to invest in this and plan around those factors. Already several serviceable options mentioned here. FWIW I'd also vouch for Adire lineup. They are a solid product.

Lastly, I grew a pile of cukes this summer and put up a whole bunch of pickles from the garden. They grow like weeds and pickles aren't rocket science to make. Anybody with a couple yards of garden space and some chicken **** for fertilizer should give it a whirl.

I'm also not a huge fan of the direction they're going with the 95xx series, but that's likely what the market demands. I'd still have high expectations from their American made lineup and the 99XX is probably the only in production 4" coil woofer I'd consider running.
Powertuned, M series, and Neo are all amazing from DD. That user I originally quoted is stuck in the whole "ohh back in my day things where better" when that's not true with DD.

He's complained before that there trash now because they have a chinese line (redline) but that's completely irrelevant because the redline is not only solid but was designed for a price bracket that literally did not exist (redline is in no competition with any of the USA lines).

FWIW I'd also vouch for Adire lineup. They are a solid product.
I actually like both the Brahma and Tumult more than the famous JBL WGTI series. Adire is rock solid

Powertuned, M series, and Neo are all amazing from DD. That user I originally quoted is stuck in the whole "ohh back in my day things where better" when that's not true with DD.

He's complained before that there trash now because they have a chinese line (redline) but that's completely irrelevant because the redline is not only solid but was designed for a price bracket that literally did not exist (redline is in no competition with any of the USA lines).

I actually like both the Brahma and Tumult more than the famous JBL WGTI series. Adire is rock solid
I wouldn't call them trash because they use Chinese build houses ..Alpine has for years and im sure many other good subs even some of the better Kicker ..but DD is just far from the quality it once was ..the Competition Lanes are proof of that ...90% of these SPL trophies and plaques were won with older DD subs not one was with newer DD subs ...all pre 2004 were won with American made Lanzar and JBL subs but that was SQ non SPL ... Not saying that DD is the best by any means but they didn't let me down...
20201222_152216.jpg
20201222_152241.jpg

I wouldn't call them trash because they use Chinese build houses
That's exactly what you said in the last DD thread
the newer chinese mass market DDs ..arnt worth a crap .
I stocked up when I heard they were going to Chinese build houses
You literally said the Chinese stuff was crap and that was why you intentionally stocked up

Luckily they never declined, they where just adding a new price segment instead of competing against what they already had

but DD is just far from the quality it once was ..the Competition Lanes are proof of that ...90% of these SPL trophies and plaques were won with older DD subs not one was with newer DD subs
This statement doesn't show a decline in quality. Other brand catching up engineering wise and having more brands in the competition lane doesn't mean DD has lowered in quality, it means the industry overall has gotten better and improved which is what everyone should want.

You also have to factor in daily parameters, cooling, and customization options have all potentially gotten better with age but none of those 3 things will show up on a trophy case. Trophy case isn't the basis of something declining

Last edited:

Apart from the MSRP I don't think anybody has ever said a bad word about DD-Z. What I don't like is they're starting to go with bigger gaps, 8 layer coils, and oddball diameter coils. IMO 3" 4 layer tight gap is still about the best balance for efficiency and power handling for practical applications, though the older 99XX series do hold their own. Also I've seen redlines in person and thought they performed great. On the fence about the value for the money in them but they're definitely not junk.

I have never seen WGti in action but those have been very highly regarded for subs that sound good and can take some power. Like I said, I have seen some Adire stuff around and they always do great.

That's exactly what you said in the last DD thread

You literally said the Chinese stuff was crap and that was why you intentionally stocked up

Luckily they never declined, they where just adding a new price segment instead of competing against what they already had

This statement doesn't show a decline in quality. Other brand catching up engineering wise and having more brands in the competition lane doesn't mean DD has lowered in quality, it means the industry overall has gotten better and improved which is what everyone should want.

You also have to factor in daily parameters, cooling, and customization options have all potentially gotten better with age but none of those 3 things will show up on a trophy case. Trophy case isn't the basis of something declining
I base it on what I see at the shows and people are buying..usually they buy whats winning ... I had a friend send me a couple of newer DD subs and they aren't what they use to be ..would I run them in a daily 135db system ...probably ..would I run them in a daily 150db system ...I don't think they'll do that so no . The new stuff is about like Kicker... nice average stuff ..but far above crap like new Blaupunkt or Pyle

Hello Everyone,
I've been saving money for long time, and it's time to start buying. I'm looking to do a nice sound quality build. I'm currently running a budget system, that's been great for what it is, but I'm looking to get a cleaner sound, a deep bass that feels like it surrounds you. I've heard bass like this from sealed enclosures in car trunks, and if I have to do a sealed build I will.

I have $2800 for the whole thing subs, amps, speakers, electrical, and a custom enclosure. I'm looking to do a 3-5k set-up. I have no idea which direction this build will go product wise, ported/sealed, how many subs, ect.

Some sub brands I like are Fi, Adire, SSA, Sundown, possibly Image Dynamics.

For an amp I'm not sure yet. Wolfram, SQ, Synergy, Crescendo, I don't know.

It's going to be my first sound quality set-up, and I hope it turns out pretty good. I'm going to start by getting subs and a amp. Do you all have any suggestions at which brands I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Hello Everyone,
I've been saving money for long time, and it's time to start buying. I'm looking to do a nice sound quality build. I'm currently running a budget system, that's been great for what it is, but I'm looking to get a cleaner sound, a deep bass that feels like it surrounds you. I've heard bass like this from sealed enclosures in car trunks, and if I have to do a sealed build I will.

I have $2800 for the whole thing subs, amps, speakers, electrical, and a custom enclosure. I'm looking to do a 3-5k set-up. I have no idea which direction this build will go product wise, ported/sealed, how many subs, ect.

Some sub brands I like are Fi, Adire, SSA, Sundown, possibly Image Dynamics.

For an amp I'm not sure yet. Wolfram, SQ, Synergy, Crescendo, I don't know.

It's going to be my first sound quality set-up, and I hope it turns out pretty good. I'm going to start by getting subs and a amp. Do you all have any suggestions at which brands I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
I have a pair of original OZ Audio Matrix 10s bnib I bought for my Mustang but went a different route ...if your looking for some really nice high end SQ subs....

Apart from the MSRP I don't think anybody has ever said a bad word about DD-Z.
Yeah 9000 series and Z are still solid choices if you want an overbuilt subs that can take abuse and get loud. For daily setups the 1000-3500 series are what most would consider the perfect balance of SQ and motor force while still having that overbuilt feel

I have never seen WGti in action but those have been very highly regarded for subs that sound good and can take some power. Like I said, I have seen some Adire stuff around and they always do great.
Adire is solid for sure, the Brahma is basically the JL W6 killer and the Tumult is the W7 killer.[/QUOTE]

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.