What's so bad about Maaco paint jobs?

well I am going to take my car down there and talk to them. I know nothing about paints and such.. I'm just going to ask to see some of their work and see if they can prove they know what they're doing. I guess I shouldn't be in a rush to paint my car and make the wrong move. I might check other places around my area.

BTW, does Maaco do body work or just paint? I've never even been there and only know of people who go there for touch up paint work... can they take care of small rust patches?

Maaco does body work, sure. If you pay for it they certainly will. Their paint jobs arent bad, actually pretty good as long as you dont go for their cheapest work(their $199 dollar job or whatever it is). Whats bad about those are they dont do any work like sand it down, tape off trim or chrome or paint under the hood, door jams, little inconspicuous areas that really make or break a good paint job.

Im sure if you ask them they will take care of some small rust, hell, you could do it yourself if your going to be getting it painted anyways.

Paint is an area you do not want to skimp on. Doing some of the work yourself will lower the end price but unless you know what your getting into its just going to make it more work for the painter. Shop around, get to know afew places and the work they do, then expect to spend some cash to get a good quality paint job.

The amount of money required for a GOOD color change will not be worth the resale value 2 years from now. Maaco doesn't paint door jams or under the hood or anything (like bigwheel said). Imagine... your car is black.... you open the freshly painted door... and you have this nice ring of ugly red surrounding your entry into the car. Not to appealing is it?

Save the money unless you realllly want the black exterior (resale value is actually lowered in many cases when you change the color of the car and its done shitty).

give the guy a tip before hand and keep the same color and it will be fine for a couple of years. make sure to tell him that you want the stickers off because they will paint right over your decals

p.s. take the 4500 and run buddy youll only be getting an extra 200 if you paint and sell for 5000

I'll let you know next week how good or bad Maaco paint jobs are. I'm getting a bunch of little dents fixed and going from a weird tan/silver to black. I'm getting the step below the premium, was quoted $1,500 (door jambs, prep plus package, etc.)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.