What would you guys build for ~$200?

Thanks for the serious replies. Seems like you can get an MTX dual 12" sub and an 1100W peak amp for around that budget. It's for my teenagers, he has a 99 Accord and she has a 17 Sportage. They'd be basically happy with anything so I'm asking what would be the best boom for the buck?

Peak power is not an actual number, those cheap MTX are very low grade. This is an enthusiast site so no one on here will recommended low level equipment like MTX Terminators.

That being said the best bang for your buck subs are still the cheap Blaupunkts in 10 or 12inch size. They are under $40 each. 2 10s in a home built ported box will destroy prefab under $300. I did 144db with 2 10s clamping under 1kw.

Last edited:
I did a skar shallow 15 on a jbl 500.1 and built a custom box for a behind the seat of a single cab chevy, it was an extremely solid setup for right at $200 at the time. It was a little better than 2 12 kicker cvr on 1k in a prefab for sure. The box and installation are a crucial part where cheap stuff can shine.

A box with a quality sub and and strong cheap amp honestly.
For new equipment $200 sure isn't much to work with... I personally would lean towards the lcs-12's (a single maybe?) as someone stated above for junior (& his friends?), a 1K amp (dime a dozen) or whatever is clever to power em ought to be available onilne or locally to anyone who's not stuck on cheaping out or in the stix.
That said the source might be an issue but a cheap media deck might suffice... just watch out for super cheap outs... remember that whatever signal your Hu supplies is your ultimate signal... so choose wisely.
In my exp with any build... cheaping out might leave the user/purchaser butthurt if everything underwhelms and some $ was spent... jmo. Personally I'd look elsewhere if the Price/grass appears too green.
$200 ain't much and to subjucate an entire install to a low set bar might leave the user wanting imo.
$4-500 is a more realistic #.
You might find some quailty items that work together in a proper install... but... omg... not with a $200 budget... it might cause more spending in the long run to fix the mistakes made the 1st time.
Cheaping out too much can become a phyrric and pointless exercise... you had my interest at $200 budget... but the actual possibilities...
Used gear or whatever is your best bet... you supply a bit of labor and even then Imo $200 is a little low.
$400-500 is what it takes anymore Imo (Source, amp/amps, sub & enclosure (speakers?) and wire)... of course what might be acceptable to you or "them" might be in lockstep with a "Boss" audio install... idk... and I can only guess at your goals, what is garbage to you etc and caution you sir.
$ spent once should deliver something worth the money spent... sorry... jmho.
Sorry Op... I've read a ton of threads asking to cheap-out, some ridiculous reinforcement regarding this has been offered at times and questionable solutions as well on this forum but I usually try to keep my own counsel.
I like to save a buck as much as the next guy but the doctor's bill I've paid from shooting myself in the foot at times (cheaping out) seems to have cost more in the long run... idk.
Just sayin'...

Seriously... That ^^^^ looks like a dinner for 5 at Outback with beverages & tip to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the serious replies. Seems like you can get an MTX dual 12" sub and an 1100W peak amp for around that budget. It's for my teenagers, he has a 99 Accord and she has a 17 Sportage. They'd be basically happy with anything so I'm asking what would be the best boom for the buck?
Do your kid’s cars currently have aftermarket radios in them. That will help people give you better advice. If they don’t have aftermarket radios $200 isn’t gonna be enough

also never look or mention peak wattage again if you dont want to look like a joke, its a noob trap. Look at RMS ratings but even then you'll have garbage companies lie on that too. I'd just wait till your budget gets to 250 or 300 and you can get something somewhat decent. Rather than picking the best looking piece of **** off the trash bin.

It’s for his kids btw, so I think it’s cool you’re trying to hook up their ride. The 99 accord may not have a super sophisticated factory eq so an average loc and a couple of those lc’s in a small ported box on a super budget amp Should get that done. Probably $250ish and install yourself (connecting loc, wiring subs to amp, rca to loc and building box. does 99 accord have factory sub?

2017 might require and better loc like the lc2i to
Deequalize factory bass. Is there a factory sub for that vehicle? If so, you could tap into that factory sub wire to connect loc and buy everything else the same as the other car

if the winds go your way and you’re willing to tackle it yourself on install it can be done for around 600 total plus install diy for both cars. if you have power tools the wood to
Build boxes wouldn’t cost much.if you don’t have tools you could cheap out and probably buy some prefab boxes on the inter web. People here will judge you, your kids and wallet won’t.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.