What sub would you put in these boxes (specs and screenshots included)

Slayer16102

CarAudio.com Recruit
The following is the boxes I can use along with my memphis 500w SRX amp
What subs would you put in these boxes for nice deep hard hitting bass.

I need your help in making the right decision here. I have several different boxes and options to choose from that will fit my car, but I don't know which option is best for my needs. I primarily listen to rap and hip hop so I want the best bump I can get given my overall space constraints.

I currently have a memphis SRX 500.1D monoblock, but I plan on changing my setup to an all in 1 5 channel amp on down the road. The future amp will most likely be a JL RD900/5, Kenwood excelon 802-5, Kicker 660.5T, Pionner DX975, or a Rockford Fosgate 750x2-5.

For an under 1000 watts SQ build do you prefer a 40/60 build, 25/75 build, or a 50/50 ratio on power balancing between speakers and subs? I primarily listen to rap, rock, and hip hop.

I don't think my stock electrical system can handle anywhere close to 1000 watts as I am running a stock 110 amp alternator in my car.

This is the max height the box can be. It can only be 12" tall so I am limited by these two boxes shown below. I haven't found many other choices besides these that will fit.

This is box #1 - Its a dual vented 1.1 cubic ft per chamber box. What sub would really hit in this box with only 1.1 cuft
The total box height is just under 12" which is perfect since I can't fit anything taller than 12" under the trunk lip.

This box is #2 its a single 12 inch prefab thats made for the car. It only has 0.86 cuft of airspace
Its a 12 inch so will it hit deeper and harder than the two 10 inch subs using 1.1 cuft of airspace vented?

As you can see I have had this box before back in 2016, but I don't think I had the right sub in it. I don't think the airspace was right for my p3sd2-12. I had a rockford p3sd 2-12 in this box and it barely hit hard at all which is why I have included the dual 10 vented option above. I can go back to this box again, but overall there wasn't much bass output with it when using a p3sd2-12.

My headunit is a pioneer 6800BS is that in anyway limiting my overall bass output?

I am not sure which sub is the best one for this box. It only has 0.85 cuft of airspace.

Here is my other options which local shops have suggested. With so many choices I am unsure which is my best overall choice for music of all genre's, but still primarily hip hop and rap.

Is it better to get a full prebuilt factory speced box from the manufacturer with just the right airspace already included or a in sub in box #1 or box #2 as my best option here given my overall space constraints. I am unsure which is my best choice here so I need help to choose the best one.

Last edited:
They also recommended a JL audio TW5 in a factory specd box as a best #1 overall option at my local shop. Would you agree here given all of the different box types shown above and the very limited space constraints of my vehicle.

Please know that I am not brand specific. I am open to all different type of options. I am just showing you all of the suggestions they recommended to me. With so many different choices I am truly lost on which is best for my specific setup while still giving some great bass for rap, rock, and hip hop.

I didn't have a subwoofer system in mind when I bought this car years ago. Having a max height of 12" really limits my cars subwoofer setup for overall bass output.

Last edited:
They also recommended a JL audio TW5 in a factory specd box as a best overall option at my local shop. Would you agree here given all of the different box types shown above and the very limited space constraints of my vehicle. I can't fit a single box over 12" tall in my car.

View attachment 38793View attachment 38794
View attachment 38796View attachment 38797

I didn't have a subwoofer system in mind when I bought this car years ago. Having a max height of 12" really limits my cars subwoofer setup.
This is the one I recommend. It only needs 0.8 cu ft sealed box. It sounds detailed and digs low for a flat sub. I had them hooked to a 750 watts amp in a Silverado's rear seat firing up. Lots of bass for 375 watts per sub. They also sound great at low volume. For comparison, I also have a pair of 12" sealed subs made by Robot Underground that sounded anemic on that amp. I had to disconnect one to get awesome bass out of that set. These are also in a 1.5 cu ft per sub, as opposed to the 0.8 of the TW5s. That to me is a testament of how good the JLs are.
I feel the Fosgate T1 might be comparable but I have never heard one in person.

I would run box #1 with a solid set of 10's. The SSA demons fit the bill as well as soundqubed H2's. If I wasn't rebuilding my old sub right now I would have purchased one of those 2.

Thank you guys keep those suggestions coming. I will check back on this again later tonight once I get home from work. As always thank you for all of your suggestions and all of your help with my car audio setup.

Can you build your own or have someone custom build it for you? That’s your best option if possible.

I used to run a power hungry 2k amp on my stock 130 alt and an Optima yellow top. Never had issues.

That first box doesn't look all that bad assuming you own a couple 10" woofers that are meant to function in a ported alignment. Typically space makes bass so cramming too much cone area in too small box is usually going to lead to disappointment. That JL W5 in the prefab JL box would be rough on the budget but probably sound good.... for the amount of space it takes up. If you can spare more airspace you'd do better with a larger box.

If Patrick made you some nice 12s could you just hire a cabinetmaker to build a box for just one of them more like 2 to 2.5 cubic feet net? He uses decent parts and seems to know his way around sub building.

As far as 5 channel/6 channel amp I think most of them will deliver 300-600W into the sub channel and the difference between 20% more or less power will be inaudible so don't get too hung up. Sundown and Digital Designs should sell 5 channel amps with a beefier sub section and US Acoustics or SSA may also have one. As far as what's "enough" that's purely subjective. Even 300W into an efficient woofer should be plenty to keep up with the fronts if you want to start rattling panels and only have a couple cubic feet to work with you'll probably want more like 1200W and brute force it.

There are still some audio legion S20 10 inch subs for 52$ on liquidation at their website. 1.1 is a good air space for them, with a port tuned somewhere around 34-38 HZ. It’s a good sounding subwoofer for 52$.

I had it in 1 cube tuned to 35 HZ. I saved it in winisd. Sounded really nice in that box. A little low end hump with cabin gain gave it plenty down low. Cabin gain is not figured into this plot line.
792FE5D6-8078-4678-8C7C-FBF4E0B6846B.jpeg

Thank you for all the answers. The knowledge of this forum is a great help for anyone from novices to bassheads. These are all of the basic prefabs are specifically made for the car. If you had to choose one which one would you choose.

Forward firing partition box $219 subthump
Volume: .71 cu.ft. ea. dual or up to 1.4 cu.ft single
or .46 ea. for triple
max Mounting Depth: 6.75"
The configuration can be either a single 12, a single 10, 3 8's, or 2 10's.

This is commonly called a flush mounted stealth box it has .85 cuft with a max depth of 7-3/8"
The configuration can be either a single 12, single 10, or 2 10's.

And then there is the corner mounted boxes
Each box has .49 cuft of airspace with a max depth of 5.93 inches
Each box is $399 a pop without any subs requiring 8-12 weeks of build time before shipping

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 12
  • large_299_011__713892.jpg
    large_299_011__713892.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 11
  • flatinstall1small.jpg
    flatinstall1small.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
What's the mounting depth on that flush mount one? The ones in the corners are a bit too small and exposed for my tastes and the long one blocks off the entire area where the sound wave will want open to get any sound up to your listening position. Those boxes that block off the entire seat-back area firing into a trunk are all show and no go, would avoid at all costs. You might get away with a couple 8" woofers in those corner boxes but it can't possibly be worth the asking price. Flush mount seems a good option and you can keep it stealth and likely buy/build some sort of grill to keep the woofer protected.

Is there some useable space in the cabin? You're going to lose about 5-6dB trying to get bass out of a trunk and you could likely get the same effect at your listening position with much less subwoofer up in the cabin. Also you'll probably want to throw at least a little sound deadening around in your trunk if you mount something back there if you don't want to be driving down the road with your trunk buzzing like some common hoodrat.

Couldn't pay me to use another subthump box. I had one as a fill in in my Explorer till I was able to build the next one I used before I upgraded again. Biggest waste of money I ever spent on a box. They charge a premium for their boxes while using the cheapest materials.

For the kind of price they want contact a local shop and have them build one instead. Will be worth it in the long run and built to w/e subwoofer you decide to go with as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...