What size wire is required for 800W amp?

I bought a roll of 12ga speaker wire bc I knew I’d use it. The brand I bought is hard to separate pos from negative but it’s been working great as wire. I believe remote turn on wire is 18ga.

Remote turn on wires are just a switch. (If you thought of it like a home stereo, they are the power button on the remote control, if your setup didn't have a plug and your choices were to unhardwire it, or push the easy button). They are VERY small, usually 100-300mv. They usually include something like 18ga. You could technically use something as small 32awg, but that small is not going to work well if you are making a run from your head unit to the amp, (just too delicate and easy to break). 18awg is usually the easy answer because it's cheap, small enough you can run it anywhere, and not too small where you might accidentally damage it. 14-20awg is fine if you already have it, or that's what's available. Some amps say 16-18 because that's what fits in the terminal. There's some flexibility in there, but 16-18 is just the best overall choice.

Last edited:
18awg is usually the easy answer because it's cheap, small enough you can run it anywhere, and not too small where you might accidentally damage it.
Agreed. I've used some very fine cable for +REM connections because I had it laying around and have had issues with it failing. Good quality cable with good quality insulation not because you need it for current carrying but just for durability. As you say, not like #18 cable is going to break the bank.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...