What kind of mids and at what stock location? Midbass? Is midrange only ok?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ljaquel01

CarAudio.com Newbie
New York
Thanks Beforehand! Cause I'm looking for suggestions!

I'm planning to upgrade the sound system of my 2012 TSX. For the mids I could use the two front doors 6.5" stock location, the two rear doors 6.5" , two rear deck 6.5" and the 8" rear deck .

My question is regarding mids, as you can see. My goal is to get loud as the stock speaker locations allow me to. I plan to run the mids out of a 4 channel Taramps TS2000x4 (500W rms x 4 @ 2ohms) that I already own. In first place I though of filling up the 7 stock speaker locations with midrange speakers. Then I realized I need to be more careful, so I started again...

I would specially like to buy and place the soon-coming Deaf Bonce AP M67AN 6.5" midranges in the front doors stock speaker location. However, from what Ive seen those speakers are not intended for midbass, since its HPF is supposed to be set at around 250hz. But the LPF I would set to my subs would around 80hz. So what happens to that in between? That's where my questions rise:

Should I get some speakers dedicated for midbass?
Which stock location should I place it?
What combinations of midranges and midbass and at which locations would be a "complete and correct and loudest" setup?
Should I even care about midbass?
Could I just fill up all the 7 stock locations of speakers? Are 7 too many that it becomes a bad idea?
Please Help me Out there!!!!!!!

Speakers I have as options(Considering to get) are:
DeafBounce APM67AN (Midrange)
Orion XPM654MB (Midbass)
DS18 6.5 speakers are on this list too(from the 6.5 to the 8" if I decide to use that stock location)
[As you can see, they all are similar in the sense that they are 4 ohms above 250rms, this is so because I plan to run each two of them in parallel for each channel of the Taramps, and maybe if one channel is left I could wire up tweeters there otherwise I'd get a separate amp]

In case you wonder what's happening with lows and highs.
I'll worry about Highs after I decide what to do with mids. About lows I can say I have 2 12 inch subs (1000 rms together) I had installed on my older car, and these I will be installing in this new car too. At least just for the meanwhile, I plan to later upgrade the subs so that they match the mids and highs level.

Didn't mean to write this much but at least you won't need more details. Thanks

Skip all the rear locations and just keep midbass in front stage. Kick pods would be optimal for creating proper enclosure for midbass drivers crossed at 80 to whatever point makes sense with your tweeter. That’s gobs of amp power which is good. Alternative is properly seal and treat your front doors and use 6.5 location but you’ll have to cut the speaker hole cavity most likely and create custom mounting rings. If it were my car I’d pick pwx 6’s. This assumes active crossover capability

Skip all the rear locations and just keep midbass in front stage. Kick pods would be optimal for creating proper enclosure for midbass drivers crossed at 80 to whatever point makes sense with your tweeter. That’s gobs of amp power which is good. Alternative is properly seal and treat your front doors and use 6.5 location but you’ll have to cut the speaker hole cavity most likely and create custom mounting rings. If it were my car I’d pick pwx 6’s. This assumes active crossover capability
Thanks for your reply!!!!!
As a follow up:
What is the use of a midrange then?
Isn't it optimal to have both a midbass and a midrange, each on its own frequency range withouth overlapping? If the answer is yes, then you would still suggest to modify the door panels so that all speakers are in front?

Also, on my last setup, in my old car, I had speakers in the rears. I saw no problem. Does front stage only really improves the system that much?

Rear midbass is just difficult for marginal benefit. Also in a rear deck location it couod be lost in your substage. You could do a kick pod up front for your midbass and a midrange in the factory door location if you have a dsp but there’s plenty of guys doing 2 way active up on 200 watts plus of clean power. Just need a driver that’s actually capable of getting down to 80hz and proper enclosure or door treatment

Rear midbass is just difficult for marginal benefit. Also in a rear deck location it couod be lost in your substage. You could do a kick pod up front for your midbass and a midrange in the factory door location if you have a dsp but there’s plenty of guys doing 2 way active up on 200 watts plus of clean power. Just need a driver that’s actually capable of getting down to 80hz and proper enclosure or door treatment
Yes I will be using a DSP.

Now I'm liking more that idea of front stage only. If I found a way of fitting at least the two speakers per door(the way you said it) I'll go for it.

Regarding the 80hz and up speaker and now that you mention crescendos I think that their 8" ultra neo gets that low. Maybe it could be an option. Agree?

Ultra neos are loud clear midrange, not midbass. Two bigger speakers in your doors of that tsx is gonna be rough, especially since that door panel is all fancy...some significant modification/fabrication. Maybe 6.5 neos in the door ( if you have the depth) and 6.5” or 8” crescendos in a kick panel. Could possibly do a 3.5 midrange and sneak it in the door and do the 6.5 midbass in the factory 6.5 location with minor modification for magnet diameter and mounting ring.

Ultra neos are loud clear midrange, not midbass. Two bigger speakers in your doors of that tsx is gonna be rough, especially since that door panel is all fancy...some significant modification/fabrication. Maybe 6.5 neos in the door ( if you have the depth) and 6.5” or 8” crescendos in a kick panel. Could possibly do a 3.5 midrange and sneak it in the door and do the 6.5 midbass in the factory 6.5 location with minor modification for magnet diameter and mounting ring.
What about having both the pwx 8" and the 6.5" midrange in custom door panels? I fear that them sharing airspace is going to be an issue since the pwx 8 would be the only one playing midbass frequencies... what do you think?

What about having both the pwx 8" and the 6.5" midrange in custom door panels? I fear that them sharing airspace is going to be an issue since the pwx 8 would be the only one playing midbass frequencies... what do you think?
Guys put two pwx 8’s in each door. Should
Be fine. Grab the un65’s for the midrange

I didn't explain myself well. My concern is regarding speakers playing different frequencies in the same door panel with the same shared airspace. Would that be a problem?

Being specific, I would cross the pwx 8, (which already own btw) at 80hz, and Ive also got the AP-M67AN which is to be set at around 250 and up till 8,000 to 10,000hz or so.

Would I be OK by having them both on a custom door panel? Like pressure from the pwx affecting the midrange functioning or so?

I didn't explain myself well. My concern is regarding speakers playing different frequencies in the same door panel with the same shared airspace. Would that be a problem?

Being specific, I would cross the pwx 8, (which already own btw) at 80hz, and Ive also got the AP-M67AN which is to be set at around 250 and up till 8,000 to 10,000hz or so.

Would I be OK by having them both on a custom door panel? Like pressure from the pwx affecting the midrange functioning or so?
That's one thing. But also, I'm feeling these are going to be hard to tune and that these might not even go toguether in any way. I hope I'm wrong on that. It's just that as I learn more and more I have more questions. The good thing is I still got time to make changes on planning

And yeah, Im saving and leaning towards those custom door panels, I wanna fit multiple speakers. I just need to (as you can see) finish up deciding what speakers I'm putting where and so on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.