What is a GREAT 3-way speaker set which comes with an 8" woofer (or sub)

DynAudio Fan

Doing a complete speaker swap-out on a c-6 corvette which comes stock with an 8" woofer... I'm looking for a crisp, loud and VERY clear (audiophile quality) but with powerful base. However, all the well known top 3-way sets seem to come with a woofer which is too small...
Looking to spend about 650-1000 for the set...
Any suggestions (maybe a mix & match even?)

Without an aftermarket amp and some attention to deadening/sealing/improving the factory locations, anything you buy may leave you disappointed.

That said, these come in a bit over budget but it fits your username:

Sadly I think with 3 ways in general there's not many options and it's either bottom of the barrel brands or premium priced brands only. If you can do a 6 channel amp with some good crossover options (Phoenix Gold SX2 1200.6 would be a solid choice) you can shop out separate components at PartsExpress, I'd look at Dayton first, they're generally good value/quality and everything at partsexpress has user reviews and typically honest data available.

Thank you. I currently have the esotec 362 and bought it without listening to it first. While accurate, it's very flat. Its been properly tuned but frankly, just doesnt have the fidelity I'm looking for. No punch. I power it through JL Audio amps. In short, while I WAS a Dynaudio fan, I am no longer. So I'm looking for a new speaker set and wanted to inquire as to what if anything came with an 8" woofer... It appears I may need to buy the components separately...

Yes - Initially I bought them because they were so highly rated (and the cost indicated that they were a high-end system. However, I I was never able to dial them in as I like. I thought it must be me until I had several others in a previous post say they felt just as I did - relatively flat tweeters and base with no real punch. They were however very clean.
So now I'm asking here for recommendations (as I have been out of the research for a while now...). I'm in Orlando and they don't seem to have any decent places to go audition the higher-end sets. So I figured I'd start by asking here...
Open to any suggestions - thanx

"My vette broke down so I am no longer a fan" Comes back with another account. :ROFLMAO:
I know... but as you can see above, someone responded with a Dynaudio suggestion (perhaps prompted by my name) so it made sense to switch. (And if this were a Vette site, yeah I'd switch again if the car gave me a lot of grief)!

I know... but as you can see above, someone responded with a Dynaudio suggestion (perhaps prompted by my name) so it made sense to switch. (And if this were a Vette site, yeah I'd switch again if the car gave me a lot of grief)!

Just giving you a hard time. You should be able to change your name through the settings.

someone responded with a Dynaudio suggestion (perhaps prompted by my name)
Honestly they are some of the only ones that even exist for 3 ways with an 8" driver.

I suspect the issue isn't so much the drivers but the install. The grand you're about to drop on throwing new drivers into the factory holes would probably get you a lot closer to your goal invested in deadening/sealing mid and midbass locations and trying to figure out a way to improve tweeter position or aiming.

You can make even mediocre speakers sound excellent with good locations and some EQ and time alignment. Now as to whether you have time or ability or even willingness to DIY that's another story and who knows how many shops or installers in your area are competent to make it happen. But I'd encourage you to not go too deep into just throwing new drivers at it, if you like, buy some reasonably priced drivers to fit from Parts Express, drop them in and see what happens. If everything you put in the hole sounds lackluster the common thread is the hole not what you're putting in it.

Honestly they are some of the only ones that even exist for 3 ways with an 8" driver.

I suspect the issue isn't so much the drivers but the install. The grand you're about to drop on throwing new drivers into the factory holes would probably get you a lot closer to your goal invested in deadening/sealing mid and midbass locations and trying to figure out a way to improve tweeter position or aiming.

You can make even mediocre speakers sound excellent with good locations and some EQ and time alignment. Now as to whether you have time or ability or even willingness to DIY that's another story and who knows how many shops or installers in your area are competent to make it happen. But I'd encourage you to not go too deep into just throwing new drivers at it, if you like, buy some reasonably priced drivers to fit from Parts Express, drop them in and see what happens. If everything you put in the hole sounds lackluster the common thread is the hole not what you're putting in it.
Thanks - makes good sense!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.