What in the Heck is an Exciter?

JasoninDLH

Jason Was Here
MN
While looking for bass shakers I came across this “exciter” that apparently “turns any flat surface into a speaker.” Say what? Anyone know about this?

1676569635220.png

While looking for bass shakers I came across this “exciter” that apparently “turns any flat surface into a speaker.” Say what? Anyone know about this?

View attachment 47123
It vibrates the surface that it is mounted to for sound transfer. Exactly like a bass shaker. A Youtuber would make panel speakers out of rigid foam board insulation with these exciters. They sounded decent.

Last edited:

View attachment 47123

I'd imagine the intention is to put those on a large glass window or similar. I'm sure it would make some sound but probably of very poor quality. There's a reason traditional speaker diaphragms are built out of the lightest materials available.

Would vouch for the "bass shaker" transducers though, they are great at giving the illusion of powerful ultra low frequency and used alongside a small subwoofer are a great way to get that feeling of big bass in a convertible, soft top, or similar vehicle where you just can't get a subwoofer to pressurize the airspace you're in. I sat in a Mercedes convertible many years ago that ran an 8" woofer in the trunk and a few of those on the front seats and it was really cool.

I'd imagine the intention is to put those on a large glass window or similar. I'm sure it would make some sound but probably of very poor quality. There's a reason traditional speaker diaphragms are built out of the lightest materials available.

Would vouch for the "bass shaker" transducers though, they are great at giving the illusion of powerful ultra low frequency and used alongside a small subwoofer are a great way to get that feeling of big bass in a convertible, soft top, or similar vehicle where you just can't get a subwoofer to pressurize the airspace you're in. I sat in a Mercedes convertible many years ago that ran an 8" woofer in the trunk and a few of those on the front seats and it was really cool.

I have a Wrangler that’s definitely hard to pressurize when I open the top and remove the doors. Definitely want these bass shakers more and more!

I’m waiting on a question to be answered by Dayton Audio (one of the manufacturers of these) as to where I should place these. To me it makes sense to install them directly on the seat, but their website says to install them on the floorboard under the seat. Confused. 😂

Last edited:
I have a Wrangler that’s definitely hard to pressurize when I open the top and remove the doors. Definitely want these bass shakers more and more!
Some... many... years ago I knew a guy in the Navy who had a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top. He ran a pair of 10's in the back, facing up and they were boundary loaded into a wavy board mounted just inches above the subs. It hit decent with no top on the Jeep. Think of a W flattened most of the way out but still wavy and that is what the board looked like.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

JasoninDLH

Jason Was Here
JasoninDLH
MN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views