What Gauge Speaker wire for 300-400 Watts?

Participant count
  • Participants list
I just recently switched from my CDT HD 62's to BA 6.4's.....I was kind of let down that they were only 6 inches long ...My kicks are for bigger speakers, but I managed, anyways, maybe its the amp but they seem to have relatively the same kind of sound....pretty equal, I had My 300x2 amp on them...but I think my 16 gauge wire wasnt holding up and I smelt burning...I tried to double up the wires, 2 16 gauge wires for one speakers...that ****ed things up...It started to cut off at volume 25 (out of 35)...So I thought I might have crossed a wire a negative on a postive or vice versa, so i crossed the New doubled up wire on the crossover...it seemed work, I turned it....and I smelled somthing....HOLY S***, its smoking like no other....just billows of smoke...and it was hot as hell....whoa....I tested out the amp again after about 10 minutes of letting it let all the smoke go and cool down a bit...it DOES still work...So I decided to let it cool down all the way, and put my old amp in for the time being, alright so I leave the Doubled up wires in, and put my old amp in (cadence Z8000) and it does the same thing!....I then i take out the doubled up wires, leaving only one pair of wires to each speaker like normal...and it works....alright I think I need new Speaker wire, 12 gauge probably...and I hope my amp still works....oh christ...
F***

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.