What exactly does a higher Xmax on a sub provide?

The new XXX suffers from the issue of having such a high xmax, that the coil is much more likely to fail from heat build up before that 54mm xmax is even close to being reached. That is why it is traditionally considered a large enclosure sub (plus it has a pretty large Vas iirc). But in a sealed application, with the right power and enclosure, the XXX is in a league of its own. No other production sub really even comes close. The next closest production sub that I know is the LMS Ultra, with an xmax in the mid to high 40's. The problem is, most people who go with such a large box simply opt for a vented system, again (from my previous post) where xmax isn't as important as it is with sealed setups, so that amazing xmax spec becomes less important. That is not to say that the new XXX cant be very potent in a vented system, it can, its just going to require an even larger vented box than its sealed counterpart. At some point, the box becomes so large that it tends to make it less of a 'car audio' subwoofer, and more of a 'home audio' sub, because we rarely care how large we need to make the enclosure for a home sub like we do with car audio setups where we are trying to cram this enclosure into a Honda's trunk.
Hope that clears up the confusion in this thread.
A bit off topic but what do you think about a XXX12 or 15 in a home theater setup? Im considering a coffee table enclosure with a very heavy glass lid to seal it. A 15 in say 10 cubes at 28hz? Since the sub and enclosure will be visible a driver as aesthetic as the xxx would be nice.

A bit off topic but what do you think about a XXX12 or 15 in a home theater setup? Im considering a coffee table enclosure with a very heavy glass lid to seal it. A 15 in say 10 cubes at 28hz? Since the sub and enclosure will be visible a driver as aesthetic as the xxx would be nice.
This was from 5 years ago. I bumped it for fun so dont be surprised if you dont get an answer

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The xxx is basically a bottom end monster. If that's what you are after go for it. Otherwise I have a real woofer for ya //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. Haha.

At that time, yes. I was still in like 7th grade //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
I convinced my friend at the time to show her ****. I swear 6th grade she had some As 7 grade they was Ds..

In school of course.. lol

It's only 70% the motor force of the peak excursion moving either up or moving down. Not even 100% of the peak excursion one way is the best way to look at it.

With that said it's really not important to me an Installer nor is it to you as a consumer. A sub with a huge xmax in most cases isn't really even necessary. Most people that want that monster long VC that carries the high Xmax will be using that monster to compete. There for will want a vented enclosure to get the most out of it. Right?
Well in most cases you will never use that xmax maybe not even half of it if you know what your doing.
For instance when a sub is at its loudest in a vented enclosure it's moving the least it will in that enclosure. Also when it comes to using T/S Parameters to build sub enclosure Xmax, Xmech, and Xmag have no value. The most valuable Thiele Parameters are FS for tuning, Qts for Volume, and Vas tells you Vented or Sealed or Both. The other specs say something. And you would think someone who has been in this line of work as long as I have would know but I was an installer not a sub designer or builder. I was a very good enclosure builder. Won awards for it not making subs though. That is what I'd like to get into now. My body at 43 just can't do installs and make a decent living at it anymore. You have to be quick and make very little mistakes to make good money. This has been my passion for over 20yrs so I hope sub building isn't as physical. Lol I apologise, I talk way to much. Hope that all helps

Last edited:
It's only 70% the motor force of the peak excursion moving either up or moving down. Not even 100% of the peak excursion one way is the best way to look at it.

With that said it's really not important to me an Installer nor is it to you as a consumer. A sub with a huge xmax in most cases isn't really even necessary. Most people that want that monster long VC that carries the high Xmax will be using that monster to compete. There for will want a vented enclosure to get the most out of it. Right?
Well in most cases you will never use that xmax maybe not even half of it if you know what your doing.
For instance when a sub is at its loudest in a vented enclosure it's moving the least it will in that enclosure. Also when it comes to using T/S Parameters to build sub enclosure Xmax, Xmech, and Xmag have no value. The most valuable Thiele Parameters are FS for tuning, Qts for Volume, and Vas tells you Vented or Sealed or Both. The other specs say something. And you would think someone who has been in this line of work as long as I have would know but I was an installer not a sub designer or builder. I was a very good enclosure builder. Won awards for it not making subs though. That is what I'd like to get into now. My body at 43 just can't do installs and make a decent living at it anymore. You have to be quick and make very little mistakes to make good money. This has been my passion for over 20yrs so I hope sub building isn't as physical. Lol I apologise, I talk way to much. Hope that all helps

This thread is from 2011.......

really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...