What does it take to hit 160dB at 20hz?

majority of these guys doing big numbers usually are sponsored most of the time
I don't think that has been a real thing in the last 20 years... not like it used to be anyway. I think the best you get anymore is "team" pricing which still 25% or better markup from most companies. I'd be surprised if more than half a dozen people in the world get free equipment on the scale required to do this sort of thing.

I don't think that has been a real thing in the last 20 years... not like it used to be anyway. I think the best you get anymore is "team" pricing which still 25% or better markup from most companies. I'd be surprised if more than half a dozen people in the world get free equipment on the scale required to do this sort of thing.
Deff right about that these days. Its about who you know and what you can get these days. One guy couple years back got an Audio shop to sponsor him and they put all Focal in his truck and ,all he had to do was show up at the Audio shows they signed up for. He did pay for a few other things himself that they did not offer to put in. Not sure how he spun that off, he never would spill the beans on it. I met him in Dallas/Plano at a DIYNA meet. The following year he was at the TX HeatWave and was competing in the SQ section.

After hearing some of the crazy loud builds at Slamology (Chris Lee damn near killed me lmao), I am starting to think the direction I want to go long term is SPL at really low frequencies. I not only find it more enjoyable but also it is safe for your hearing (160 @ 20hz is about 110dBA).

With how far tech and pricing has come, what are some various methods to achieve near 160s at 15-23hz? Is it even possible in a sedan wall, maybe mid 150s? I imagine depth would limit tuning that low a sedan b pillar. I've seen results I like from 6x 21"s and 15 15"s, though I am sure there are many ways to go about it. 6th order is the way to go I assume?

15 of these would be incredible performance per watt and performance per dollar. Liking the look of the Powerus PW15000 for this application. One of few high quality full bridges.
To remotely say 160db is safe for your hearing is bullshlt.
Aside from that, like its been mentioned lots of money and the more enclosed your space will be the more likely you are to hit your goal. Good luck with your build.

To remotely say 160db is safe for your hearing is bullshlt.
Aside from that, like its been mentioned lots of money and the more enclosed your space will be the more likely you are to hit your goal. Good luck with your build.
I personally believe 160dB at much lower frequencies is safe for 30-60min sessions. Like 20hz or under preferably. 160dB at 20hz is the same dBA as my current trunk system which is 150dB at 29hz.

Ive never really metered to be honest. Im going to on the next and last large build out.Just looking to break a 150 on record and Ill be happy. But I do know the majority of these guys doing big numbers usually are sponsored most of the time, and Money is no option or an issue that Ive seen. Hell most when asked cant tell you what they have or how it was installed other than ask the installer?? LOL .Got to love those deep pockets man. I like hands on myself, much better appreciation for what you have, even if its a $50 set of tweets
I used to think 150dB was very difficult and was my original goal. Of course the difficulty entirely depends on budget and vehicle. But building it is the most fun part IMO.

I personally believe 160dB at much lower frequencies is safe for 30-60min sessions. Like 20hz or under preferably. 160dB at 20hz is the same dBA as my current trunk system which is 150dB at 29hz.
I understand what you're saying as far as perception is concerned.
I'm clinically deaf and had countless tests etc.. Anything above 95ishdb causes damage, and the higher the db the shorter the time to damage. Noise related damage usually is cumulative.
I'm in the same boat and there appears to be no reason why we experience that variance. I was told a theory but nothing concrete.

Yeah this would be something I wouldn't daily and work on for potentially years.

Unrelated, me and my buddies are finally getting work done on that 5x American Bass Hawk 12 b pillar you designed a while back. Even that is an insane amount of work. Really hoping for some decent wind being tuned at 31hz. We are planning on going with two MD8ks wired to 0.8 each due to budget constraints and already having them in hand. Should be able to clamp full RMS fingers crossed. 120AH of Scibs as well.

How do you wire two amps to five subs? Just curious.

I used to think 150dB was very difficult and was my original goal. Of course the difficulty entirely depends on budget and vehicle. But building it is the most fun part IMO.
I agree. (Not Sure about the 150?) I may have or have been close to a 150? I just do not know other than a cheesy 140 meter went into Error several times. At least I been there at one time or two Possibly ??Ive enjoyed this as a Hobby for several Years and I still do. Understood on the type of Vehicle as well as Budget.

Won't be easy since most SPL oriented subs are designed to do it at higher frequencies and their impedance curve allows them to take tons of power at a narrow frequency band. It'll be tough to do it at lower frequencies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...