What do you think I meter?!?

DJSlowfets

Senior VIP Member
CA
Hey guys gotta sundown E12 v.2 in a ported box 1.7 cu ft airspace tuned to about 36 hz in the trunk of a 2002malibu with the port facing towards people that would be behind me. Amp is a Alpine MRV-M500 gain to full

Stock mids and highs pioneer single din and stock electrical. What do you think im hitting 20's 30's 40's.Just curious obviously not goin to comps. Sounds like a noobish question but no one around me has the termlab system //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Thanks!

Why? Its an amp that pushes 560 watts @ 14.4 voltz obviously no where close im all stock so its prolly pushin 470-520 watts. Some people run 1000 watts on em? And the box is well in the parameters FROM Sundowns site. So please explain.

Why? Its an amp that pushes 560 watts @ 14.4 voltz obviously no where close im all stock so its prolly pushin 470-520 watts. Some people run 1000 watts on em? And the box is well in the parameters FROM Sundowns site. So please explain.
He is saying you are probably clipping, whichs burns your coils. You need to set your gains properly, not just crank it up

Amp can push full power to sub even with gains set at 50% provided input signal is high enough. Gain is used to match amp input to max input signal voltage in order to prevent clipping. With your gain at 100% it is highly likely you are clipping at high volume - which can and will smoke a sub regardless of power rating.

So if you were to guess where should I set it at?And is clipping in subs as audible as you would hear in speakers?

Prolly 130ies

With the gain all the way up might be 140ies lol. Not tryin to bust your stones. I have had several amps that put out max clean powa at less than 50% gain alpine have pretty linker consertive gains and the e series are damm near indestructible on 500 rms clipped or unclipped so your prolly not gonna really hurt anything but it would sound better with gains properly set.

Prolly 130ies
With the gain all the way up might be 140ies lol. Not tryin to bust your stones. I have had several amps that put out max clean powa at less than 50% gain alpine have pretty linker consertive gains and the e series are damm near indestructible on 500 rms clipped or unclipped so your prolly not gonna really hurt anything but it would sound better with gains properly set.
Don't lie, it's not nice.

So if you were to guess where should I set it at?And is clipping in subs as audible as you would hear in speakers?
If you get a tone and put it on, you should be able to hear it when setting your gain. Sonic made a youtube vid on it and would really help you out to watch it.

And is clipping in subs as audible as you would hear in speakers?
Not always clearly audible, but you can smell it if you clip long and hard enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

There are lots of tutorials on how to set gains with voltmeter or scope.

Can't even guess at a gain setting unless you know what the max voltage is on your RCA inputs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.