what do u think?

Participant count
  • Participant list

liwaj79
10+ year member

I was wondering if the type of wire you use is really important like how many stands a wire has or who makes it does it make it sound that much better i knwo that the wire gauge does but i was wondering abotu this thanks

ps i am using industrial wire is that bad r good

By all means wire is critical!! Just how much so depends on a few factors-length, impedance of component driver--the lower the more critical--, and frequency--wire, or loss from it, affects both frequency extremes more than midrange. When u say ur using industrial wire, you don't mean solid core electrical wire do you?? hopefully u mean zip-cord or lamp cord, which is typically18ga. If so, abandon ship immediately&head to your nearest electronics shop--even shadio rack has some half decent stuff4those of us budget constrained working stiffs. Rule of thumb is the less resistance th better. That means thick multi-strand wire, typically minimum 16 guage for standard 4ohm speakers with runs of more than 3feet, thicker,lower guage, if impedance is less than4ohms or if it's a big-assd diameter woofer. Also if your running a lot of power--over 500w--, you'll want thicker wire, say 10 or 12 gauge, depending on how u tolerate lumpy carpet or bulging panels. Shop around, as fu-fu car audio designer wire can get real pricey...hey, they gotta make a living too. For mid-range drivers, u can get away with moderate, say 18 gauge wire. With tweeters, it's back to the thick stuff unless you're using those mostly awful piezo tweets--ok, they have some limited use--in which case u can use your leftover dental floss. After all is said and done, a little known secret is that thin coax cabl--braided part-- has waaaay less resistance than any 10 gauge wire you'll pay big bucks for..prove it with a milliohm meter!!

forgot to mention-all that matters sound-wise is the speaker wire's dc resistance-don't believe you'll find any manufacturers who'll give their specs on this, although they might state their#of strands--yes, that makes a difference--either use good judgement or th milliohm meter in your pocket.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

liwaj79

10+ year member
liwaj79
fremont ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from