What Amp should I use?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xPexelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Michigan
First I wanna say I am very new to this lol. I am getting 2 Sav212’s 1000w RMS. What amp would be best to get to run at 1 ohm?Another question I have is can both dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm get wired down to 1ohm? If so what one would be better and why... Thanks for reading any help would be appreciated!

First I wanna say I am very new to this lol. I am getting 2 Sav212’s 1000w RMS. What amp would be best to get to run at 1 ohm?Another question I have is can both dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm get wired down to 1ohm? If so what one would be better and why... Thanks for reading any help would be appreciated!
Firstly I'd recommend you stay away from Brazilian amps if you're planning on wiring down to 1 ohm unless you know what you're doing because they don't really like it. I like to match my subs power with my amps with a little headroom on the amplifier side. What I mean is in your case for example, since you're gonna have 2000w RMS to play with, I would look for an amp which can give me that and a little headroom for upgrade (I change subs so often, I'm an Audioholic... Smh I like it... I buy it, and swap the old ones out). So I'd look for a 2500 - 3000w RMS amplifier. Now I know there are gonna be the trolls who are gonna say " You should match your subs with your amp power or have higher rated power subs to be able to take the load" bla bla bla...😴 But I don't care much for subs... 🤷‍♀️I blow them and recone them stronger anyway, especially if I'm not impressed with their performance with the factory parts. But yea you can get a nice 2500rms amp, wire down to 1 ohm and you should get everything you want out of them IMO.

Why do you say Brazilian doesn’t like 1 ohm?

2 Dual 4 can wire to 1 ohm and 4 ohm
2 Dual 2 can wire to 2 ohm (and .5 ohm but you need electrical to back it up)
When choosing an amp, it’s best to get one that is rated more than your subs at the ohm load you’re running because box rise will affect it. Say you have an amp that is 3000 rms at 1 ohm and 2000 at 2 ohm, if you wire to 1 ohm, your subs won’t see that 3000 rms because box rise with bring it to more like 2-3 ohms.

When choosing an amp, it’s best to get one that is rated more than your subs at the ohm load you’re running because box rise will affect it. Say you have an amp that is 3000 rms at 1 ohm and 2000 at 2 ohm, if you wire to 1 ohm, your subs won’t see that 3000 rms because box rise with bring it to more like 2-3 ohms.
Some of them can do 1 ohm, but most of them can't or they go nuts or pop under 1 ohm load. The Taramps smart models and bass line models can do 1 ohm but most of the others don't particularly like it. Most of them are 2 ohm stable.
Those who wire them down to 1 ohm know what they're doing and allocate adequate battery potential to attain that amount of power at a stable voltage cuz voltage drop is the common culprit ppl face with them causing excessive current draw which causes heat. And have you compared the heat sinks of the Brazilians as compared to the Koreans? That's another important factor there. They do stupid power at lower voltages but when you ask them for more power.... best believe that you must provide them with adequate voltage to produce it.
Why they don't like 1 ohm? It has to do with the design. You'd have to research on full bridge design to have an understanding of what's going on in those Brazilian amps. The FETS and other circuitry in full bridge are modern components with much higher voltage and current tolerances, as a result of that, the components are driven hard by default, close to their full potential. So when you ask it to do 1 ohm when it is not rated for that, you will have a problem, cuz you're asking more from a circuit that is already being driven hard at 2 ohm.
What do you think is gonna happen then? You're gonna clip that amp very early, and guess what another thing Brazilian amps don't like?.... Ding! Ding! Ding!!! You might have guessed it. Why they don't like clipping you may ask? Same answer I just explained! Not saying that there aren't Brazilian amps that can't do 1 ohm, cuz there are trickling in.
Full bridge technology isn't new... It's been around for ages. It's just recently been improved and made power more affordable. Its just misused and misinterpreted widely by those who don't know how to use it properly and then go about bashing it.
I for one don't hate Brazilian amplifiers at all because I know how to use them properly. Ppl just bash them cuz they pop them by doing stupid stuff like tryna run a 10K on their stock power supply, wire it to 1 ohm and beat the sh*t out of it, voltage drops to dangerous levels, amp gets hot and pops... then want to blame the manufacturer.
Just to clear the air for the trolls again, It is being noted that the QA of most Brazilian amp manufacturers is very poor causing a lot of them to fail sporadically as well, but if used properly, FULL BRIDGE is the new way forward IMO.
Notice I said Full bridge... Not Brazilian. There are Full bridge brands that are very reliable and can do 1 ohm no sweat like Banda for example.

Cheers!✌

I understand what you’re saying but you’re first comment stating Brazilian doesn’t like 1 ohm was a blanket statement. There are plenty of amps that are not 1 ohm stable that aren’t Brazilian or full bridge. If you’re running 1 ohm then you just need to make sure it’s 1 ohm stable per the manufacturer.

I understand what you’re saying but you’re first comment stating Brazilian doesn’t like 1 ohm was a blanket statement. There are plenty of amps that are not 1 ohm stable that aren’t Brazilian or full bridge. If you’re running 1 ohm then you just need to make sure it’s 1 ohm stable per the manufacturer.
I'm not disputing that, but i think u missed the point of my statement to the gentleman.
FWIW, When the Brazilian amps started coming in, there weren't many 1 ohm stable ones and most of those which hailed 1 ohm stable were still not reliable under 1 ohm load. Whether it be poor QA or build quality is up for debate, but a lot of them were still popping under 1 ohm load especially Taramps' first HD line. I've so far seen improvements in the new HD line and introduction of the Bass and Smart line which are more tolerant to 1 ohm.
My statement was not saying that Brazilian on a whole doesn't like 1 ohm. The guy stated that he is new to this... So I advised him as a newbie to the sport as to what he should do and to steer him away from the mistakes newbies have made with Brazilian amps.

So 0.5 ohm would be the move? And I can get the electrical whatever it need and willing to spend the money just trying to figure out if I should get 2 ohm or 4ohm version of the sub and what ohm to wire it to. Do you have an opinion on these subs? Maybe there’s better for the money? Really trying to learn as much as possible so whatever I get just gonna play with and learn as much on how the sub works any info would be appreciated.

Firstly I'd recommend you stay away from Brazilian amps if you're planning on wiring down to 1 ohm unless you know what you're doing because they don't really like it. I like to match my subs power with my amps with a little headroom on the amplifier side. What I mean is in your case for example, since you're gonna have 2000w RMS to play with, I would look for an amp which can give me that and a little headroom for upgrade (I change subs so often, I'm an Audioholic... Smh I like it... I buy it, and swap the old ones out). So I'd look for a 2500 - 3000w RMS amplifier. Now I know there are gonna be the trolls who are gonna say " You should match your subs with your amp power or have higher rated power subs to be able to take the load" bla bla bla...😴 But I don't care much for subs... 🤷‍♀️I blow them and recone them stronger anyway, especially if I'm not impressed with their performance with the factory parts. But yea you can get a nice 2500rms amp, wire down to 1 ohm and you should get everything you want out of them IMO.
Your statement about Brazilian amps was true 10 years ago. Not today, theres Brazilian that were made to take half ohm as well and i personally seen 1/8 ohm burps on a bass 12k. All other taramps, sound digital and banda amps are 1 ohm stable.

You are also on a forum where everyone recommends at least double the subs' rms to compensate for box rise and keeping the signal clean and amp efficient.
Some of them can do 1 ohm, but most of them can't or they go nuts or pop under 1 ohm load. The Taramps smart models and bass line models can do 1 ohm but most of the others don't particularly like it. Most of them are 2 ohm stable.
Those who wire them down to 1 ohm know what they're doing and allocate adequate battery potential to attain that amount of power at a stable voltage cuz voltage drop is the common culprit ppl face with them causing excessive current draw which causes heat. And have you compared the heat sinks of the Brazilians as compared to the Koreans? That's another important factor there. They do stupid power at lower voltages but when you ask them for more power.... best believe that you must provide them with adequate voltage to produce it.
Why they don't like 1 ohm? It has to do with the design. You'd have to research on full bridge design to have an understanding of what's going on in those Brazilian amps. The FETS and other circuitry in full bridge are modern components with much higher voltage and current tolerances, as a result of that, the components are driven hard by default, close to their full potential. So when you ask it to do 1 ohm when it is not rated for that, you will have a problem, cuz you're asking more from a circuit that is already being driven hard at 2 ohm.
What do you think is gonna happen then? You're gonna clip that amp very early, and guess what another thing Brazilian amps don't like?.... Ding! Ding! Ding!!! You might have guessed it. Why they don't like clipping you may ask? Same answer I just explained! Not saying that there aren't Brazilian amps that can't do 1 ohm, cuz there are trickling in.
Full bridge technology isn't new... It's been around for ages. It's just recently been improved and made power more affordable. Its just misused and misinterpreted widely by those who don't know how to use it properly and then go about bashing it.
I for one don't hate Brazilian amplifiers at all because I know how to use them properly. Ppl just bash them cuz they pop them by doing stupid stuff like tryna run a 10K on their stock power supply, wire it to 1 ohm and beat the sh*t out of it, voltage drops to dangerous levels, amp gets hot and pops... then want to blame the manufacturer.
Just to clear the air for the trolls again, It is being noted that the QA of most Brazilian amp manufacturers is very poor causing a lot of them to fail sporadically as well, but if used properly, FULL BRIDGE is the new way forward IMO.
Notice I said Full bridge... Not Brazilian. There are Full bridge brands that are very reliable and can do 1 ohm no sweat like Banda for example.

Cheers!✌
A lot of misinformation here.
False on the low voltages. Why because ive seen my hd 15ks drop to 10.3 volts(fuse from front to rear batt was out so only running off rear batts and voltage Meter in the car was kaput before the show) and was straight demoing for 4 hours hard at the show, wired at 1 ohm btw. Low voltage is not the killer, the amps being forced to make too much power is what blows it. Its operating at max capacity so when its forced to make more than what its capable of, then it blows. The amps are rated at 1 ohm means if you wire to 1 ohm and in a real world situation theres always gonna be box rise so you will never see 1 ohm. Unless you are talking about wiring below 1 ohm to get closer to 1 ohm after rise then yes, only the taramps bass line can do that. However theres plenty of videos of taramps on a resistive load at 1 ohm which is a true 1 ohm load as if you were wiring to the dirt IRL after impedance rise. So all the evidence says your claims are flat out wrong.

Also the amps keep way cooler than koreans due to the push pull fan configuration. A giant heatsink is not necessary. My ampere TFE 8.0 was a nuclear power plant heat wise vs my hd 15ks and the hd 15ks are way louder and cleaner sounding and less harsh on my voltages and runs ice cold even during 100 degree summers. Banda is brazilan btw and they **** ass on the amp Dyno.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.