Waterproof speaker grills?

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Exclusive
ND
I'm looking for grills or covers for my front 4" speakers that are washable, don't let water through, minimize UV exposure, and don't completely kill sound. I've been thinking neoprene might be the best material for the job, but I honestly don't know what's out there. This is for my offroad toy that I still want to have music in. Open to any and all ideas!

Thanks.
- Joe

Please tell me you're referring to how the speaker grill mounts to the speaker.

You do realize air is a fluid, right? Unless you plan on defying physics or using some sort of passive radiator you're not going to find a "waterproof" speaker grill. The speaker itself can be waterpoof, though.

Please tell me you're referring to how the speaker grill mounts to the speaker.

You do realize air is a fluid, right? Unless you plan on defying physics or using some sort of passive radiator you're not going to find a "waterproof" speaker grill. The speaker itself can be waterpoof, though.

Have you heard of an air filter? It lets air through, but it blocks other particles down to a certain size. Have you heard of oiled air filters? They do the same thing, but use oil to catch particles. There are also air filter covers that are specifically made to resist water, so maybe there's something similar in the audio world. I don't know every audio product that's out there, so I posted here.

I understand the physics of it, but inventors make their living by producing products that overcome obstacles. Would you be more comfortable if i used the word "cover" rather than "grill"?

I genuinely appreciate the response, but your reply has a tone that suggests you are aware of every product on the market, and/or you are an expert in the physics and chemistry that make my task impossible.

- Joe

Lol this guy again.

Lol this guy again.

Was that meant to be an insult?

I enjoy car audio as well as off-roading. Not everyone is a nerd with multiple alternators and batteries to brag about on the internet, but not everyone on the internet is a nerd who likes to brag.

If you are passionate about car audio, as the domain suggests, why do you talk trash about those who are eager to learn about it?

Have you heard of an air filter? It lets air through, but it blocks other particles down to a certain size. Have you heard of oiled air filters? They do the same thing, but use oil to catch particles. There are also air filter covers that are specifically made to resist water, so maybe there's something similar in the audio world. I don't know every audio product that's out there, so I posted here.

I understand the physics of it, but inventors make their living by producing products that overcome obstacles. Would you be more comfortable if i used the word "cover" rather than "grill"?

I genuinely appreciate the response, but your reply has a tone that suggests you are aware of every product on the market, and/or you are an expert in the physics and chemistry that make my task impossible.

- Joe
Yes I'm a Nobel prize winner and I know every product on the market. Bow down and respect me.

Yes I'm a Nobel prize winner and I know every product on the market. Bow down and respect me.
Glad to know I didn't misread your message. Equally glad to hear I didn't mischaracterize you.

Honest question: what do you (plural) gain by speaking down to people with less internet posts than you? I haven't been aggressive whatsoever. The worst I have done is to correct you when you say things that aren't true and ask questions that aren't typical. Are you so insecure that you can't be corrected when you misspeak?

I know I will get trashed because I am not a regular to this site, but I don't think that's fair. Everyone should WELCOME valid outside opinions because they make us learn.

Bring on the hate, but please provide facts along with your comments, so I can grow from them.

- Joe

Glad to know I didn't misread your message. Equally glad to hear I didn't mischaracterize you.

Honest question: what do you (plural) gain by speaking down to people with less internet posts than you? I haven't been aggressive whatsoever. The worst I have done is to correct you when you say things that aren't true and ask questions that aren't typical. Are you so insecure that you can't be corrected when you misspeak?

I know I will get trashed because I am not a regular to this site, but I don't think that's fair. Everyone should WELCOME valid outside opinions because they make us learn.

Bring on the hate, but please provide facts along with your comments, so I can grow from them.

- Joe
Needs a tl;dr

Was that meant to be an insult?

I enjoy car audio as well as off-roading. Not everyone is a nerd with multiple alternators and batteries to brag about on the internet, but not everyone on the internet is a nerd who likes to brag.

If you are passionate about car audio, as the domain suggests, why do you talk trash about those who are eager to learn about it?

Who is trash talking? Last I checked you were calling people who run multiple alts and batteries nerds... Hmmm. I explained to you Marine grade components in your other thread that you never replied to. Car audio and water does not go together. No speaker is going to survive being soaked by water and mud nor is an amp. There are no water proof grills for speakers because they would muffle the sound and be pointless. Spray some marine grade speakers with some of that there Hydrophobic spray.

Why not just go with marine grade speakers, mounted overhead, that are detachable when you are running in water or mud? You could also detach them when you are cleaning the vehicle. A compact amp, like a Taramps DS250X2 or TS400X4, could be mounted in a waterproof metal box. Just run the wiring through the tubing of the off-road vehicle. I think these steps would help, but it will never be 100% waterproof.

Last edited:
Why not just go with marine grade speakers, mounted overhead, that are detachable when you are running in water or mud? You could also detach them when you are cleaning the vehicle. A compact amp, like a Taramps DS250X2 or TS400X4, could be mounted in a waterproof metal box. Just run the wiring through the tubing of the off-road vehicle. I think these steps would help, but it will never be 100% waterproof.

Bobby - Thanks for the response!

I bought Infinity speakers because they were on sale on black friday. I do not want to relocate speaker mounts into my ceiling, because that would take a lot of fabrication to do.

Bobby - Thanks for the response!

I bought Infinity speakers because they were on sale on black friday. I do not want to relocate speaker mounts into my ceiling, because that would take a lot of fabrication to do.

Then you really don't want to be waterproof. So, now you want to be waterproof, and, do it easy. That, my friend, will not happen. If difficult things were easy to do, everybody would be doing it. Everybody has to do work for their car audio, i.e., building a subwoofer box, adding batteries, big three, changing alternators, sound deadeners, speaker pods, amp racks, raising back seats, etc... It's up to you!

Who is trash talking? Last I checked you were calling people who run multiple alts and batteries nerds... Hmmm. I explained to you Marine grade components in your other thread that you never replied to. Car audio and water does not go together. No speaker is going to survive being soaked by water and mud nor is an amp. There are no water proof grills for speakers because they would muffle the sound and be pointless. Spray some marine grade speakers with some of that there Hydrophobic spray.

I received a condescending response, so I posted a snippy rebuttal, as anyone would do. If you want to quote me, please provide the full quote; I said, "Not everyone is a nerd with multiple alternators and batteries to brag about on the internet, but not everyone on the internet is a nerd who likes to brag." I didn't call anyone a nerd, nor did I call everyone with multiple alternators/batteries a nerd. I was trying to make a point that you shouldn't talk down to everyone who has different goals than yourself.

Tell me you weren't being rude by saying "that there Hydrophobic spray", and follow it up with an explanation that we gun-lovin', hillbilly, simple folk can understand.

You sound upset that I countered the other response by informing you that material can repel water AND allow air to pass through it, so it sounds like you are upset because I provided facts that make you rethink generic responses, and that caused you to lash out.

Then you really don't want to be waterproof. So, now you want to be waterproof, and, do it easy. That, my friend, will not happen. If difficult things were easy to do, everybody would be doing it. Everybody has to do work for their car audio, i.e., building a subwoofer box, adding batteries, big three, changing alternators, sound deadeners, speaker pods, amp racks, raising back seats, etc... It's up to you!
I want waterproof covers or grills, as the title suggests. My front speaker have never had water over them, but if there is a product available, I would buy it.

You don't have to lecture me about doing things easily. On my 4x4, I have upgraded the engine, transmission (twice), transfer case, front axle, rear axle, et cetera. Point is that I know that good things take blood, sweat, and tears, but I also know that there are products out there to make things easier, and that's what I'm looking for.

Please don't question my intent or abilities.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.