Want good strong 12v amp to drive 8 ohm speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

bugman

CarAudio.com Newbie
GA
OK, this setup may be a little weird, but I'm waist deep into it and don't really want to start over completely, so hoping someone can help me out with some good advice.

This is on a houseboat.

I have a basic car stereo (fairly new JBL), a pretty old Xtant 404 amp (50 watts x 4), hooked to four speakers which I *THINK* are good speakers (Definitive Technology AW6500's),.

They actually do sound quite good, just not nearly enough POWER!

The speakers are fairly new, I bought them b/c they are outdoor speakers (yes, sometimes it rains at the lake!), I have a little over $1,000 in these 4 speakers, so I really don't want to start over with new speakers if I can avoid it!!

So the specs on the Def Tech speakers (per the owner's manual):
  • nominal impedance 4 - 8 ohms (I didn't know what impedance was when I bought them (and barely know now!)) :-O
  • peak power 200 watts (manual says "Rec. Assoc. Amplification 10 - 200 watts")
The JBL radio on the boat is of course 12 volts, as is the existing Xtant amp. There are 4 "basic" speakers inside the boat, I plan to keep the existing Xtant amp to power those 4 speakers inside, and get a NEW amp to power just the 4 Def Tech 6500's that are mounted on the OUTSIDE of the boat (2 on the front, 2 on the back) which are the ones I'll want to CRANK.

As I've learned a little about all this, I see that the 8 ohm speakers are a little problem since car amps are designed for 4 ohm speakers (right?).

SO... I called Crutchfield, they guy suggested a Rockford Fosgate Power T1000-4AD amp, which is 250 watts RMS x 4 at 1 to 4 ohms.

When you double the ohm load the watts are halved, right? So if the amp says 250 watts at 4 ohms, my 8 ohm speakers would only pull about 125 watts per channel, is that correct?

If I hook these 8 ohm Def Techs (which are rated only 200w peak) to it, does that sound like a good setup??? Looks like to me it should be SAFE at least (amp says 250 watts, but speakers should not pull over the 200 watts peak rating since they are 8 ohms, right?)... but I almost think that isn't enough power. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right the first time, and be ROCKIN' at the lake! :)

Could I throw MORE power at the Def Tech speakers?

Also, I have read a bit about the Class D amps, and several friends who are into this much more than me have said class D is the way to go... this Rockford Fosgate amp is the new technology Class AD (NOT AB)... so, is it all that? Is this a good amp?

The ultimate goal here is to feed as much power to these Def Tech AW6500 speakers as they can handle without blowing anything up in the process!

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
--
bugman

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Go for it. Rockford's T Series is their best line. They drive any speaker with authority that is easily discernible upon first listen. As for AD class rating, it means that it employs class A and class D technology. But remember that you will still have to upgrade your power supply to keep that amp well fed. Good luck.

You can wire two 8 ohm speakers together to get a 4 ohm load. Then bridge a 4 channel amp. 2 speakers bridged on 2 channels at 4 ohms each channel.

Thanks for your reply.

That would be wiring them in parallel, right? I have been investigating that, but I'm unclear as to how the power is truly distributed between the speakers. If I used an amp that was rated at 100w x 4 or 200w x 2 bridged into a 4 ohm load (such as the Rockford Fosgate TM1000X5AD), if I bridge the amp & hook to 2 of my speakers wired in parallel, so the amp is supplying 200 watts to that channel with a 4 ohm load, is EACH of those 2 speakers getting 200 watts? Or is that 200 watt/channel bridged power SPLIT between the 2 speakers so they are actually only getting 100 watts each?

Go for it. Rockford's T Series is their best line. They drive any speaker with authority that is easily discernible upon first listen. As for AD class rating, it means that it employs class A and class D technology. But remember that you will still have to upgrade your power supply to keep that amp well fed. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

I was planning on using two Lifeline AGM 6v batteries (rated at 220 Ah each) wired in series to produce 12v as the power supply. These are batteries that were in my inverter system in the boat, I replaced all 4 batteries. Upon replacing them, I tested them, two were indeed bad, but two tested 95% capacity, so I thought I'd keep those 2 for this purpose.

Or is that 200 watt/channel bridged power SPLIT between the 2 speakers so they are actually only getting 100 watts each?

Yes split between the two speakers.

Could wire all four to 2 ohms and run a full range mono block as well.

Or a beefy 4 channel bridged that doesnt break the bank.

No way in hell I would spend $1k on a RF 4 channel.

Yes split between the two speakers.

Could wire all four to 2 ohms and run a full range mono block as well.

Or a beefy 4 channel bridged that doesnt break the bank.

No way in hell I would spend $1k on a RF 4 channel.

Appreciate all the replies folks!!!

If anyone has any further thoughts/suggestions, please jump in!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bugman

CarAudio.com Newbie
bugman
GA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from