W7 For sale on FB marketplace for way too cheap

smitters520

CarAudio.com Newbie
I found this JL Audio W7 for sale on FB marketplace for $400. It’s being sold by a lady who listed it as a “speaker” and apparently doesn’t know it’s a w7 sub. Does this look stolen to you guys? If not, are the blemishes around the edges merely cosmetic or do you think the sub is beat? Obviously it looks like dookie but if it were completely functional I couldn’t pass it up for what she’s asking.

pics:

What does a stolen speaker look like? I assume it's cheap because it's beat to piss, and seller doesn't know you can rebuild it.

I found you a match. Ebay item 384834716102

IF it's functional and just needs a refoam, it's not a bad deal as long as it includes the retaining ring for the outside of the foam.

But, you could just buy a new sub of a different brand and come out with the same or better performance with a warranty.

The W7 is a pretty nice driver. But personally, I'd rather spend that much money on something new. Or at least something used with a known past that doesn't look like a $10 whore

Matt

A refoam is all you can really do, coils are no issue but the cones ain’t easy to come by and if anything is wrong with them, they start looking mighty fugly with all the repairs trying to be done. What I have done in the past is if I can get one cheap enough, I pull the motor and drill a Ti frame to fit. Now I can use a nice new cone, coil, 10” spider and call it a day. At $400, it’s not worth it. I wouldn’t pay more than a $100 for the motor personally. The frame on the sub looks like it may have damage, if it’s cracked, a rebuild as I described is the only way.

Thanks for all the replies Im going to bet on the safe side and save my money. I’ve been out of the loop for a while and been rocking the trusty RE Audio 12” in a ported box since 2014. In the market for something a bit nicer now and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something comparable to a W7.

Thanks for all the replies Im going to bet on the safe side and save my money. I’ve been out of the loop for a while and been rocking the trusty RE Audio 12” in a ported box since 2014. In the market for something a bit nicer now and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something comparable to a W7.

Sound quality wise or SPL wise? What is your goal?

Fair price on used W7 (working and not beat to ****) has always been around 350$. If anything I'd say that one is over-priced at 400 and fair at 150-200 assuming it functions and it's only the cosmetic issues wrong with it.

sound quality for sure. One sub is enough for me in my current system just would like something that hits crisper, deeper, and louder.
Crisper, deeper and louder will be difficult if you're using the same power. RE subs even from 14 years ago are nice subs. Are you running the same amp? The Dayton Audio high excursion reference subwoofer is a good choice if you like SQ in a ported box. Savard HI-q subs are beautiful, but need a bit more power than a W7.

A sealed 15 is a good option also. 2.5-3 cubes sealed is roughly the same overall box size as a 2 cube ported box for a 12. If you have the height to work with, a sealed 15 is an excellent loud SQ option.

Crisper, deeper and louder will be difficult if you're using the same power. RE subs even from 14 years ago are nice subs. Are you running the same amp? The Dayton Audio high excursion reference subwoofer is a good choice if you like SQ in a ported box. Savard HI-q subs are beautiful, but need a bit more power than a W7.
no ill be getting a new amp so im not really limited by power with my next sub. My current amp has me limited to 500 watts rms. I will check out all of those that you recommended. Would the Savard sound good in my ported box?

no ill be getting a new amp so im not really limited by power with my next sub. My current amp has me limited to 500 watts rms. I will check out all of those that you recommended. Would the Savard sound good in my ported box?
Not sure. The Savard 12 works good in 1.75-2.25 with a lower port tuning. 32-33 is probably low enough tuning. What box do you have now?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...