Very shallow dual 12" underneath the "false floor" in Mercedes EQC - should I use Kicker Bass ReFLEX Passive Radiators?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Mastiff-Norway

CarAudio.com Newbie
Norway
I am going to build a very shallow enclosure under the false floor in my EQC (so my wife won't even know it's there...that's what goes for WAF in my house). I am connecting this to the Burmester sound system by hooking a Cerwin Vega CVP2 to the Burmester "subwoofer" amp, which feeds the two 8" subs underneath the driver's and passenger's feet. The rest of the system sounds good enough for me. I actually imported an EQC from Germany to Norway instead of buying one here because the Burmester wasn't an available option last fall because of the chip shortage, and the "advanced" system sounded like sh*t on my music - mostly black, death, power and progressive metal. But there is nothing even remotely like deep bass, like there is in the Burmester system in Porsche Taycan, which has much of the same sound, only with a 400 watt subwoofer in the boot, but that car wasn't very practical with an 80 kilos English mastiff that needs to travel sometimes. So that car wasn't really an option.

So I'm going to build a box from MDF that fits under the false floor. I have built many boxed before, but often used JL Audio. Only I consider the shallow mount JL Audio quite overpriced. A set of two of those would be more than double the price of a set of Kicker 43CWRT122, and from what I have read the Kicker's sound should be more than up to the rest of the system. Burmester is good, but it isn't a living room hifi system, after all.

The box will be sealed, I have always prefered that to ported, I like my bass as tight as possible. In the Chevy Suburban I had mid 90's I built a box that was as shallow as it could be for the speakers and the full width of the car, around 70 centimeters wide, split into two compartment with one JL Audio in each, and that had the best sound I've ever had in a car. This will probably not be able to compare, but I hope to get a lot out of it. So the question is if I should build the box a bit bigger than necessary and use two Kicker Bass ReFLEX Passive Radiators in there, or will that make the bass sound less tight, so I should just stick to building the box the recommended size for the subs themselves (this will also be one box but with a wall between the elements so they have their own "air".

Thanks, but I prefer stuff I can buy locally, for the warranty. It's five years here.
Great deal for sure. I would do the same.Dayton Audio offers a 5 year warrant on the majority of theyre products if not all here in the States. Id like to hear how it turns out for you. I am considering doing a false floor up front on the passenger side in my truck next year for an Aero-Ported 10 of 100-400rms @ approx. 60 htz. If i can get a pair of 80 rms 10s under the front seats

I'll post what I end up with.
In the meantime, if somebody has any experience with those passife radiators I'd appreciate to hear it!
With passive radiators you will build the box to the ported specs, which is close to twice as large a sealed box. Being a metal listener, I would just go sealed. I thought the kicker with the passive radiator sounded sloppy to me on metal music. It wasn’t horrible, just not the tight clean bass youre going to want on fast double kick drums.

Great, thanks! That's exactly the kind of experience I wanted. Then I'll go sealed. (y)
No reason you can't get the sound you want with ported or passive radiator but if you have no ability to tune the mass of the passives you will not be able to adjust if whatever you get from the factory doesn't work out.

I don't see any issue with buying Kicker if that's what is in your local stores. They typically make a decent middle of the road product that will perform as advertised.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...