Using the factory backup camera on a Android head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

InfamousSean92

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello
I hope everyone had a good weekend. I recently purchased a new Android head unit for my 15 Toyota Corolla and tried installing it myself (I have no prior experience in this manner) Everything is just plug and play and the unit comes with a backup camera and a 20 pin connector for backup and amp and so on like other units with included RCA cables. The car's original backup camera has a 24 pin connector. Is there any relatively easy way to connect the original camera to the android unit like an adaptor? I'm a total novice in electronics!
Would this adaptor help? I believe the original camera gets its power from the reverse light so it shouldn't need a separate power cable?

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-07_17-46-08.jpg
    photo_2023-05-07_17-46-08.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 43
  • photo_2023-05-07_17-46-16.jpg
    photo_2023-05-07_17-46-16.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 38
  • photo_2023-05-07_17-46-23.jpg
    photo_2023-05-07_17-46-23.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The car's original backup camera has a 24 pin connector. Is there any relatively easy way to connect the original camera to the android unit like an adaptor? I'm a total novice in electronics!
Would this adaptor help? I believe the original camera gets its power from the reverse light so it shouldn't need a separate power cable?
So the camera has it's own harness? The camera usually does get it's power from the reverse lights but the power and ground wires in that 24 pin adapter are for the radio to activate the camera when you just want to look back or even to record.

So the camera has it's own harness? The camera usually does get it's power from the reverse lights but the power and ground wires in that 24 pin adapter are for the radio to activate the camera when you just want to look back or even to record.
Not sure and I'm not so good at reading diagrams! I though if I get the eBay adaptor and connect it to the unit might solve the problem. If the factory camera is wired to the reverse light it should send a voltage to the reverse switch in the unit and trigger reverse

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-07_20-32-22.jpg
    photo_2023-05-07_20-32-22.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 40
Not sure and I'm not so good at reading diagrams! I though if I get the eBay adaptor and connect it to the unit might solve the problem. If the factory camera is wired to the reverse light it should send a voltage to the reverse switch in the unit and trigger reverse
You will definitely want to read what the Reverse wire does, and what those two blue wires by the rear camera video input do. That should tell you where that red wire from the harness will be spliced to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...