Type of wood for enclosure

Batteries and wire can approach 1000 pounds in a 10k watt wall pretty quickly.

How many batteries are you talking, 15? A Northstar type 34 is about 50 pounds. So, 15 of those (if you have the room) would equal 750 pounds and 250 pounds of wire. That's hard to believe, just sayin. It is what it is.

Yep and you said "¾" or 1" birch for "normal" boxes" and "for walls 1" MDF might be better"

Normal boxes people use 3/4" MDF with the front double baffled and braces. Works just fine, people have been using that kind of method for years and years with good results. If you can afford Birch more power to you. Yeah it is a nicer wood no doubt but not everyone can afford it and in some areas like mine it costs a whole hell of a lot more then 3/4" MDF does. Either way you are gluing it together & sealing it.

When you are doing a wall build combined with multiple amplifiers, batteries and all that ground & power wire it adds up really quickly.

Not too mention the weight of all the subwoofers. Wall builds can easily go to 1000 pounds.

Yep and you said "¾" or 1" birch for "normal" boxes" and "for walls 1" MDF might be better"

Normal boxes people use 3/4" MDF with the front double baffled and braces. Works just fine, people have been using that kind of method for years and years with good results. If you can afford Birch more power to you. Yeah it is a nicer wood no doubt but not everyone can afford it and in some areas like mine it costs a whole hell of a lot more then 3/4" MDF does. Either way you are gluing it together & sealing it.

When you are doing a wall build combined with multiple amplifiers, batteries and all that ground & power wire it adds up really quickly.

Not too mention the weight of all the subwoofers. Wall builds can easily go to 1000 pounds.

He said just the batteries and wire would weigh 1,000 pounds. I know how much wood weighs. My "normal" box is ¾" Birch with a 1" MDF base. I have a hard time believing that JUST the batteries and wire would weigh 1,000 pounds. Just sayin.
Screenshot_20201124-184041_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed arguing just to argue. Go look at some wall builds on youtube or other car audio places. Many of those guys use 4/0 wire? Ever held just a foot of that in your hands? That stuff weighs a LOT. Now add all those wires and what not combined with batteries yeah it could be 1000lbs, wouldn't be shocking at all. Jeff would know considering the amount of wall builds he has done over the years for himself and others.

Agreed arguing just to argue. Go look at some wall builds on youtube or other car audio places. Many of those guys use 4/0 wire? Ever held just a foot of that in your hands? That stuff weighs a LOT. Now add all those wires and what not combined with batteries yeah it could be 1000lbs.

I highly doubt it. Plus, I told the OP that I wasn't sure about walls. My reply was fine. Jeff just wanted to play games. Then, he pops off with 1,000 pounds in batteries and wire, what a joke. He can sukk a dikk and get off my tip.
Screenshot_20201124-185319_Samsung Internet.jpg

Did someone pee in bobbys bung hole?

The fugking guy called me out for no reason. I'm not just going to sit here and take it. He can go fukk with someone else. Even with Pop's 5 batteries that weigh 480 lbs., I doubt that his wire weighs 520 lbs. If Jeff wants to play games, that's fine, but I'm not going to just take it quietly.

How many batteries are you talking, 15? A Northstar type 34 is about 50 pounds. So, 15 of those (if you have the room) would equal 750 pounds and 250 pounds of wire. That's hard to believe, just sayin. It is what it is.
Big boys use multiple sms 400s or a big bank of 10 to 12 group 31s if they are on a budget and those are 80lbs. 4/0 welding cable in multiple runs do add up to everything. You never dealt with suspension sag or how much wear and tear the excess Weight does to your daily driver
from the brakes to suspension to engine and your gas mileage so you really dont understand how big of a issue it is and why lithiums and neo drivers and light weight plywood is so important for system aaand vehicle longevity.

Its one thing to see a friend build a wall. Its another to build one yourself and drive it every day. Theres multiple people that cant drive their cars now and have to use a little beater to get to work in my area because they never factored the wear and tear along with all the repair issues that come with a heavy wall and 164+ db systems. They literally had to rebuild and design everything to consider weight in their next car because whats the use of having a system if you cant drive around and enjoy it on the daily?

Plus a lot of people visit this forum looking for answers but never actually comment and with suggestions like yours they might run into the same issues that plagued many people if they followed through on your wall advice and disregard weight and use a shittier and heavier wood like MDF and do 4 layers of that on their wall or some **** like that. When you got 4 layers of thickness the weight fully adds up.

Again i stand by what i say. You do not have experience with walls.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

centraltexastundra

CarAudio.com Recruit
centraltexastundra
Central Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from