Type of wood for enclosure

For those saying Birch. Make sure you are getting real Baltic Birch and not Home Depot / Lowes Birch. That birch is just Pine with a super thin Birch veneer for looks and double the price. ;)
Yep. I built cabinets for my kitchen from baltic birch and noticed the nearly paper thin veneer on my first cuts. I didn’t actually know it was pine underneath. Home Depot wood. The lumber yard that I was able to get nice birch from has now went out of business.

no you dont build walls so should not be giving any advice on wood and walls. MDF walls is going to absolutely FU.CK your suspension lmao when paired with 400+ lbs of subs and 1000lbs of batteries and wire.

He used the cheaper "crap" aka the cheapo chinese sanded pine and did full testing on resonances and vibration. Even one layer is better than mdf resonances wise. Just watch from 25:05 and on and you'll learn a lot.

I've got friend's building walls. So, **** my dikk jerkoff. I've watched my buddy build multiple layers of birch.

Again YOU dont build walls. You can watch a video on YouTube about building walls and its the same **** as you watching your friend

@jt4x4, open your ******* eyes, I never told him to build a wall out of Birch. Sorry, my buddy is doing 160+ at 30 hz. I think that he knows what he is doing. Fukking prikk. I never told him to build a wall out of Birch. I fuckking told him 1" MDF you dickwads.

no you dont build walls so should not be giving any advice on wood and walls. MDF walls is going to absolutely FU.CK your suspension lmao when paired with 400+ lbs of subs and 1000lbs of batteries and wire.

He used the cheaper "crap" aka the cheapo chinese sanded pine and did full testing on resonances and vibration. Even one layer is better than mdf resonances wise. Just watch from 25:05 and on and you'll learn a lot.

You don't know what the fukk I've built or helped build. So, get off my dikk. I know my buddy is doing 160+ @30 hz. You can come out to Vegas on the 13th and witness it if you want to. You won't though. Keep flapping your gums. Bring your ride, we'll meter it as well.

So, what are you building your walls out of genius? The original poster never even said that he was building a wall. My advice was perfectly fine for the the OP's question.

So, what are you building your walls out of genius? The original poster never even said that he was building a wall. My advice was perfectly fine for the the OP's question.
Lil noobs got a mouth now lmao. Hilarious. We remember how retarded you were dont play it off like you know ****. Again its just your friend. I got friends doing 163 at 27hz but do i bring them up? Only because you trying to flex when you have no real reason to flex.

Ive considered trying 3/4 inch MDF sandwiched between 2 plates of 1/8 inch aluminum plating, mostly for the appearance of having a “metal” box. Not sure if it’s been done before, and I would’ve done it already if cutting a round hole in metal didn’t require me to buy extra tools. Has anyone seen anyone do something like this before? I noticed right away that he mentioned aluminum in the video.

Ive considered trying 3/4 inch MDF sandwiched between 2 plates of 1/8 inch aluminum plating, mostly for the appearance of having a “metal” box. Not sure if it’s been done before, and I would’ve done it already if cutting a round hole in metal didn’t require me to buy extra tools. Has anyone seen anyone do something like this before? I noticed right away that he mentioned aluminum in the video.
He used cld to dampen the resonance of the metal so it should be fine if you use that decidamp he uses.

400+ lbs of subs and 1000lbs of batteries and wire.
Imagine not using Neodymium motor subs and Lithium batteries in 2020.
resonances and vibration.
Sort of a different animal in that sort of full range cabinet, but yes, MDF isn't the best there. Really IMO if you're getting "resonance and vibration" you have failed to build thick enough sides or used proper bracing, this should not be an issue with a high powered subwoofer box if done correctly.

I personally had good success with OSB sub flooring in my C-pillar wall and have seen it used effectively in another build locally. It is extremely rigid BUT it's a nightmare to work with, rather ugly, and possibly porous (though mine was all covered with epoxy resin). I have also heard from a reliable source who has done extensive testing that particle board + resin nets the same numbers as MDF + resin for SPL applications.

The big benefit of MDF is low cost and it is very easy to router/shape/sand. If I have time next year I'm probably going to rebuild the baffle in my Jeep to try different sub sizes. My plan is to use a variety of wood in the layers and keep MDF on the outside so it can be more easily rounded where needed and provide a nice smooth surface for paint.

IMO the bigger question should be how to build the box sturdy, rigid, and airtight. If you focus on these fundamentals it shouldn't much matter what you use for material.

Lil noobs got a mouth now lmao. Hilarious. We remember how retarded you were dont play it off like you know ****. Again its just your friend. I got friends doing 163 at 27hz but do i bring them up? Only because you trying to flex when you have no real reason to flex.

Again, I didn't recommend him any type of wood for a wall. I only suggested wood types for regular types of boxes.

Since, when do batteries weigh 1,000 pounds?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.