Type of wood for enclosure

centraltexastundra

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have the availability of different types of plywood where I work, and was wondering if there was a better type of wood other than MDF. I have CDX Plywood available, BC Plywood, BB Plywood, HDO Black, and MDO. I dont know much about the differences between the bunch but I have access to these different types

Birch and Sanded Pine are really nice on subwoofer boxes.

I would have gone with something other then MDF but anything else costs more then an arm & a leg plus a couple other body parts. For a state flush with logging especially all around me living in the Northwoods of Wisconsin...they really hit us hard on any kind of lumber here. Same with dairy products.....living in the dairy state and beer state....and we pay higher prices on all those products,lol.

3/4" mdf works just fine on normal boxes, you only double up on the where the subwoofers are being mounted.

Birch is expensive in most places. Also a lot of people use sanded pine with great success and it works just as good.

¾" or 1" birch for "normal" boxes, I'm not sure about wall type boxes. 1" MDF might be better.
no you dont build walls so should not be giving any advice on wood and walls. MDF walls is going to absolutely FU.CK your suspension lmao when paired with 400+ lbs of subs and 1000lbs of batteries and wire.

I like to use a wood that is dense for subs to dampen and kill vibration. MDF or the heavy good plywood. The lighter stuff is crap.
He used the cheaper "crap" aka the cheapo chinese sanded pine and did full testing on resonances and vibration. Even one layer is better than mdf resonances wise. Just watch from 25:05 and on and you'll learn a lot.

For those saying Birch. Make sure you are getting real Baltic Birch and not Home Depot / Lowes Birch. That birch is just Pine with a super thin Birch veneer for looks and double the price. ;)

Exactly Jeff, anyone who would build a wall with MDF is crazy. For regular box building like mine yeah it works.

And yep I noticed that Pop a long time ago, they do it the cheap way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

centraltexastundra

CarAudio.com Recruit
centraltexastundra
Central Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from