Tweeters distorting after playing for a little bit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Danny Marz

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I just bought some kicker tweeters and pioneer 6x9s. I didn’t really get any distortion at all in my factory stereo in my 2014 Dodge Ram. I just installed a Kenwood dpx303 head unit in there now and it sounds awesome for the first few minutes at high volume but then it just starts to distort and crack after a few minutes. I’m guessing it’s because I’m pushing the speakers too hard and need an amp for the speakers. I soldered all my wires from my wiring harness into the head unit. Might it be a bad connection? The speakers sound great in the beginning so I don’t think it’s a connection issue. Sorry for the newb question but I’m just trying to get some input here. I also have a kicker comp 10 powered by a boss amp

So, you hacked the wiring, maybe didnt use crossovers for the tweets and are running 4 speakers on the front channels. Youre going to be buying a new HU pretty soon...

Nah I have the crossover set to 4K for the tweeters and 60hz for the 6x9s. They aren’t all running to the front channel. They’re all wired correctly. I also have the master eq set to -5 at 16khz

Last edited by a moderator:
So you pulled all the speakers and only put tweets and 6x9's in the whole truck? Normally there are at least 6 speakers in a stock system when dash and door speakers are present. So exactly how do you have it wired? The EQ settings mean nothing.

Front and rear 6x9s and 3.5 dash speakers. I wired it to the factory wiring. And then using a wire harness and soldered all the connections to the HU

i set the crossover for the whole front speakers to 100hz and it seemed to help a bit. Still get some distortion but not as much. 

Distortion is bad for speakers, if I were you I get a amp before you kill those components since you wired them to a head unit lol...

I decided to buy a 5 channel amp to power my sub and all my speakers. The dash and front door speakers are wiring together into the front channel. Will it be a problem if I just hook them into 2 channels on my amp?? The dash and front door speakers are both 4ohms. My amp can handle either 2 or 4 ohms 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.