tuning my amp (Alpine BBX-F1200)

chandlerr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Alpine BBX-F1200 4ch
Alpine SPR-60C component
Alpine SBG-1244BR subwoofer
Pioneer DEH S4150BT HU

installed on a Honda HR-V 2002,
Im new to the field, would like your help in tuning my amplifer to get the best out of my setup.. (concerning gain, freq, crossovers - highpass lowpass slopes ; etc etc)

didn't want to play around with it myself because Im too afraid to cause any damage to my equipment.

**btw, I wanted to check the max volume on the HU and turned it all the way up (while no music was playing, upped it to 62) but then I saw that guides recommend unplugging the RCAs before you do that, will it anyhow damage my component or something? I did it just for 1 second, again, no music was playing..

so what do I set my amp to in every one of these sections?

gain setting info..

heres the test tones..

80hz is a good starting point for xovers for mids and sub. kinda depends on how loud you listen to your stereo and how hard hitting the music is. if the mids are getting too stressed, might raise to 90 or 100hz or so

gotta experiment

if you cranked your stereo for a sec with no music, its probably fine. removing rcas just grantees no damage

crossover slopes are how quickly the crossover cuts out the frequencies above or below the crossover point

a lot of decks have 6, 12, 18 or 24 db slopes. i like using higher slopes for faster rolloffs. lets me run a higher or lower crossover point (depending on if im low passing or high passing) and still protect my gear

Last edited:
How do I know the value I should set my gain to, when using the volt meter.. theres a formula but I dont quite understand how to put the numbers in..
Most of the vids get like 22 or something..
How dk I calculate the right one for my bbx f1200

volts = square root of watts multiplied by impedance

so if the watts is 100 and the impedance is 4, volts = 20

this is what i meant, but probably said it wrong :)

volts = square root of watts multiplied by impedance

so if the watts is 100 and the impedance is 4, volts = 20

cant tell where do I get the right info on the RMS I should use for the gain formula, checked alpine sites and other places,

It says :
RMS Power Ratings
  • Per Channel into 4ohms (≤1%THD+N): 4 x 50W
  • Per Channel into 2ohms (≤1%THD+N): 4 x 70W
  • Bridged into 4ohms (≤1%THD+N): 2 x 130W

so its like 280 RMS? or what.. do I look at the 4x70 ?

Use the rms rating for the channel you are on. I take it that you have the subwoofer bridged on 2 channels and are running the component in stereo.
22.8 volts for the subwoofer channel. 14.14 volts for the speaker channels.

you use the speakers RMS, not the amps, or you could ruin the speakers. unless youre using a way too small amp

if youre using a small powered amp, you can only send the speakers what the amp can put out cleanly (without clipping the signal), or you can ruin the speakers

if your amps real big (500 watts), but your speakers can only handle 100 watts, youll ruin the speakers if you use the amps 500 watt RMS

id bridge your amp and send the speakers around 100 watts. if you dont bridge the amp, you can only send them 50 watts

bridged, that amp puts out 130 x 2

basically, you want to send the speakers what they can handle, without clipping your amp

so most people use amps that can send the speaker more power than they need = ensures a clean signal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

chandlerr

CarAudio.com Newbie
chandlerr
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
nauc