Senior VIP Member
Kentucky
I have a 2015 Silverado 2500LT 4x4 - The truck has the following:

Electrical:
320A Iraggi Alt
2 Yellow top Optima Batteries.
Big 3 (Big 4 really).
All 0 Gauge Wires.

PROBLEM: When I'm not on the gas pedal (giving RPM's) and I start bumping the stereo, my trucks voltage drops. My truck can hold the stereo for about 1-2 minutes and then my truck dies.

I understand that this happens when people pull a lot of power for the stereo. BUT, I'm only pulling about 2k Watts (RMS) on my subwoofer and about 500 Watts (RMS) on my Mids/Highs. And to be honest, I have the gains down a bunch, so I'm really only pulling like half that.

I know that Silverado's 2014 and upi require you to run your grounds through a current sensor under the hood, but I found that its only for the Silverado 1500's. The Silverado 2500's don't have this "current sensor". It seems like the truck doesn't know to charge the batteries when the voltage drops... AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

P.S. I really need help with this. I spent a lot of time and energy installing this system. I can't get any shops to even touch or look at the truck because i didn't have them install it. Any how... any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll attach a wiring diagram of my setup... (It may be a little diff than my final install, but its almost exactly the same).

Like 9-10v

I can literally watch the voltage go from 12-14v slowly down to 9v if I'm steadily bumping the stereo at high volume. (Takes like 1-2 min) BUT, if I place my foot even gently on the gas (to increase the RPMs) the voltage drives right up to 12-14v almost instantly.

Also, the truck starts every time.. no issues etc. Drives with the stereo up just fine. Just when I'm at a stop light etc. and bumping, it wants to drop voltage. The two batteries are brand new ... the alt is brand new. I should have WAY more than enough power for this system. I did a big overkill on sizing for no reason.

Sounds like the alt speed is too low and it's not putting out any amperage at idle. I would contact Iraggi. Possible look into an overdrive pully for the alt. Or could be an issue with some type of sensor on your truck. I don't know them well so I'm not sure what all they have as far as alt current sensors and what not. Last build I did in a Silverado was a 2013 and had no issues with EA 320 alt.

Sounds like the alt speed is too low and it's not putting out any amperage at idle. I would contact Iraggi. Possible look into an overdrive pully for the alt. Or could be an issue with some type of sensor on your truck. I don't know them well so I'm not sure what all they have as far as alt current sensors and what not. Last build I did in a Silverado was a 2013 and had no issues with EA 320 alt.

I don't think that's the issue, but I will definitely call them tomorrow and see Iraggi's thoughts on it. I haven't really thought about it from that perspective. Good Advice.. I hope you're right. If not, back to the drawing board.

Anyone else experience a similar issue?

Did you figure out what the issue was here? I would look at how the regulator is configured for that alt too. If it is charging fine then maybe it's the idle amps like he mentioned. If the pulley can be changed that might be the best option...it is almost as if your alternator cannot keep up. Are you seeing the lowest drop at the alternator post?

Did you figure out what the issue was here? I would look at how the regulator is configured for that alt too. If it is charging fine then maybe it's the idle amps like he mentioned. If the pulley can be changed that might be the best option...it is almost as if your alternator cannot keep up. Are you seeing the lowest drop at the alternator post?
I haven't been able to look at the issue at all yet. I work 50-60 hrs a week and have a little one to take care of. I will have much more time in the next few weeks and all of December. (hopefully the weather permits). As soon as I get to time, I will look at it and give an update. (Sorry) .. and I appreciate the help !

I agree. He does things that are out of the ordinary. I like trucks myself. I've been looking at trucks since I was a kid. I always liked the sound of the engine starting—their size, the way they were arranged inside. I used to drive trucks all over the country with my dad. I saw a lot, of course, and now I'm 20 years old, and my goal is to buy my truck. I consulted with a friend, who further advised me https://www.truckexporter.co.uk/. I found a car that I liked, and now I work tirelessly to save up for my dream.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...