Transfering 6.5's into 6x9's

fromhailey

CarAudio.com Newbie
My car was totaled and I removed my stereo system to install into the new car. The set up is 4 6.5's, dual 12" sub, 5 channel amp, double din reciever. The car I want to buy is a Toyota Camry with stock setup of 4 6x9's and 2 tweeters. I have read that it is possible to put a 6.5 speaker in to replace the 6x9, with special mounting and adapter. I will have the installation done professionally, but they are closed due to 'stay-at--home" order, and i would like to get some answers now rather than wait (to help my car purchase decision). Do professional installers do modifications like this (like CarToys)? How many other peices of the system does it effect? For example, does this require special wiring, or is there a component I'm unaware of. How much extra is this cost besides what it would already cost to install?

They make speaker adapter plates to go from 6x9 to 6.5. Generally they run around $25-$35 a pair. The shop I work charges for adapter plates but no extra on install. I would recommend some dynamat for each pair to ensure that things get sealed properly. You don’t want air leaking between front and rear of speaker.

It does not require any additional wiring. As previously stated in prior responses, they use adapter plates. It does not affect any other part of the system. During a DIY install, I also made my own out of cutting boards. I installed 6.5" into a round 8" opening.

P1440047.JPG

I 3D printed my 6x8 to 6.5 adapters for my Escape. Cost about .60 to make each x4=$2.40 and a couple of hours while I was doing someone...err...something, else. ;)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.