Timing changed?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Steven
10+ year member

CNP
I recently Had the timing on my car checked.

I took it to the local gm dealership and they said the timing on my car was out by 35 degrees. WOW thats alot.

Since they have fixed my timing the car hasn't had near as much power as it did before, less 1/4 by my estimate. Does anyone have any explanation for this? The car is an 85 firebird. The timing is supposed to be 10 BTC, and was 45 BTC.

Also a friend of my mine has recommened to get more life out of my engine to put a bottle of ATF into the crankcase, Has anyone hear ever heard of that? It's supposed to lubricate the upper cylinders better because it's a lighter oil.

well, i believe that on most cars the factory timing is set to 10, so unless somebody during the course of the cars history changed it a s***load, i have no idea y it was up to 45. Anyways, alternators make different amounts of power at different rmp's, so if the timing was cranked up that high, it could have been idling at a higher rmp, making more power. Now that you got the timing fixed, it doesn't idle that high anymore, lowering the amount of power it makes at idle. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the alternator, just different idle speeds.

I meant power as in horsepower.

I used to be able to lay a patch about 15 feet long, now I'm lucky if the engine doesn't stall when trying to start off

ATF, bad idea. PLEASE only use recommended oil in your 'Bird.

Timing doesn't slip that much without something being way wrong. Like skipping a tooth on the timing chain. If that's the case, then adjusting the timing back to specs is just a band-aid.. and yes, the motor will run like crap.

If the mechanic didn't disconnect the computer advance when setting the timing, he could have it off by a mile. 45* of advance would have made the engine ping like a mother. Something's fishy here. You need to get a timing light and check it yourself, or get a second opinion.

What engine is in that? Chebby 305 with a Q-Jet? How many miles?

The engine is a 2.8L V6 MPFI. It has roughly 276,000 KM on it. I know that soon I'll have to think about replacing the timing chain, but I don't have the money yet. I'm basically looking for a band-aid for now. I went and did a compromise and set the timing between where it was and where the mechanic set it. The engine now has all of the power back and gets 2X the gas mileage than it used to. I'm beginnig to think that maybe they set the timing of the wrong cylinder

guys----------- FIRST---- your motor would NOT be able to start @ 45 degree BTC and would need a MSD ignition to hellishly retard the timing to start the car. This is because of the SLOW cranking the spark plug would fire when the piston is 45 degrees out of TDC this would push the motor backward---------

SECOND ---- you would have to be runing race gas or alcohol with that much advance or you would get preignition and detonation ------- blown motor

like someone said in a post above me---------- they must not have taken out the plug that removes the computer's advance from the motor.

you are now runing the motor retarted so much that it's PAST----- TDC which the motor can do but it decreases power dramaticly and raises UNDERHOOD temps by letting UNBURNED gas BURN in the headers and can ruin your cats

Don't put ATF in you motor that is the stupidest thing I EVER heard. If your friend believes it helps something let HIM do it ... and explain to the repair shop how he thought it was a good idea--------- don't thin your oil

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Steven

10+ year member
Steven
CNP
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from