Thoughts on my current enclosure build? (2 12"s 750rms each, 39hz)

DrBuckets

Hello, I'm new here and pretty much new to car audio, just been mostly learning the hard way on a lot of things. Tried to research as much as I could and even had my try at designing my own box that I would like to build.

I'm not exactly sure if I get all this stuff which is why I came here to hopefully get some second opinions.

Here is what I have in my current setup

Vehicle :05 Chevy Malibu

Location in the vehicle :Trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): Plenty for this size box.

Subwoofer make and model: DB Drive K5 12" DVC 750 RMS 1500Max x2

Subwoofer Size: 12

Number of Subwoofers: 2

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot?

What type of music do you like?: All kinds. Country, Rap, Rock, Pop, Techno/dub.

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Mostly everyday Music but I like my bass loud.

Tuning Freq (Hz):39

Volume :Loud.

Amp: BRZ1700.1D

Head Unit:pioneer 35000 or something.

Here is my Sketchup of the enclosure and also the Torres screenshot for my tuning...

I know that the size on torres does not match the size of the box because I build the enclosure as two separate ones made into one enclosure. I do need to wire down to 1ohm so I know there would be a little extra wiring outside the box, I'm okay with this but if someone had an idea for a box with a shared port I would be okay with that too but I have no clue how the tuning works on that with port size and all.

Sorry for the mess, I figured color coding would be the best way to show size with no confusion.

(top off for visibility)

59a770324bcdce31dcb82686ce177c20.png

50e2830caa7b294bbb32c824b465f361.png

(Made in Google Sketchup)

36b5313527e73a53aa04e52552c5b81e.png

Both port and box volume is too small in my opinion. If you want those 12s to perform, aim for 2 cubic feet net volume instead of 1.45, and about 25-30" of port area. Per sub.

The subs say they want 39hz & a 12 inch port with a 4" width. Is it possible to go bigger and just port accordingly to get this tuning? Also, if I throw them together I just need one port yeah?

Threw something together quite a bit bigger but I feel like this is a little too big. It will fit in my trunk, I just have no clue if bigger means better. Just one port now...

a1959583e5f2b25d333ae28ea5b83446.png

I see that here it is wanting 1.57cu.ft. if this is the same as the net volume then I'm assuming this one is too big and I could shorten up on the depth. but since I have two subs do I need to have double this value? (3 being ideal in this situation)

Anyhow this is what I just came up with real quick, atleast this one is easier on the eyes. Any and all advice is welcome! Completely new to making enclosures & I want to learn.

afaf7e0b2e31931956cfd0e0d042caf5.png

4ea411a90e663c0b888effe95a488d85.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful, ill sign it for you if you'd like!

Was playing with numbers today during lunch to try and get closer to 3 on net. Without going too big, do I need to have an L shaped port or is it fine with just the side port behind the subs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.