The subwoofer's frame touching the car's body !! Is it a problem ?

wolfrose

Hello,

I have a new camry 2019 hybrid and this model actually has a factory 8" cut I guess for a sub-woofer. I bought a rockford 10" sub. I didn't know that the cut is 8", when I got the sub and wanted to install it .. it didn't. So my wife's brother went to bending the cut edges to fit the woofer, I told him it won't work, because maybe if the woofer's frame touches the car's body that would be a problem, but he insisted to move on. And I thought .. ok if it didn't work then I just have to get everything back to original setup and sell this 10" woofer and get 8" one.

These are the images are attached.

Should I continue or uninstall the woofer ?

Attachments

• pics (1).jpg
    pics (1).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 164
  • pics (2).jpg
    pics (2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 150
  • pics (3).jpg
    pics (3).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 153
  • pics (4).jpg
    pics (4).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 164
  • pics (5).jpg
    pics (5).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 159
I didn't wish to continue the wiring because I knew something is wrong !!

So should I bend the edges more or change the woofer to 8" ?
Depends how fucked the edges are. If it's so bad an 8 inch will leak you need to just go to an audio shop and have them cut you a 1/2 inch wooden baffle that will allow the 10 inch driver to fit, or cut one yourself. The easiest option is to get an 8 inch driver if the hole isn't too mangled and just deal with it until you're ready to put down the $ for the proper option.

Slap your wife's brother before he starts doing that **** next time.

Depends how fucked the edges are. If it's so bad an 8 inch will leak you need to just go to an audio shop and have them cut you a 1/2 inch wooden baffle that will allow the 10 inch driver to fit, or cut one yourself. The easiest option is to get an 8 inch driver if the hole isn't too mangled and just deal with it until you're ready to put down the $ for the proper option.

Can I find a good 8" woofer like the one I bought for a good price 49$?
Rockford Fosgate R2D4-10 Prime R2 DVC 4 Ohm 10-Inch 250 Watts RMS 500 Watts Peak Subwoofer

I tried to search for good 8", but I actually found some.
1. JBL Stage 810 8" 200-Watt Subwoofer $50
2. Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch 600 Watts $63
3. Skar Audio IX-8 D2 8" 300 Watt - 2 ohm $40
4. Skar Audio SDR-8 D4 8" 700 Watt - 4 ohm $60

I think these are for reasonable prices.

I guess I can uninstall this woofer, get it back to its box, and sell it for anyone in the local market. And just buy 8" woofer from Amazon.

Slap your wife's brother before he starts doing that **** next time.
haha lool .. yep that should let him stop arguing with me and trying to show me that he knows everything about cars :)

I’d be concerned with finding a woofer that performs well in a free air environment unless you are going to build a sealed enclosure around it.

Least difficult - stop listening to brother in law and find and open air 8 (u may have to use a baffle Now to fix your bro in laws handy work

More difficult - use a baffle and build an enclosure for sub.

Id make the brother in-law buy that sub that he scratched all to hell, and find out if the existing sub is a 2,or 4 ohm and get a replacement.Need to know how much power the internal amp is and find a sub equivalent to match the ohm load and power you have.Is there an issue with the old sub??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.