The Drums are Wrong!!!

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
  Something I have noticed over the years about recorded music and live music is that the drums are wrong. I have even noticed this incorrect thing at concerts. Ok, what am I talking about? Once you know, it may get on your nerves as well. Ok, I will use the band Cannibal Corpse as the example. I have seen them in concert and was right up against the stage as the picture shows. For reference as I am facing the stage as seen in the pic right will be the right of the pic, left will be left of the pic and this is how it is recorded on their albums. Ok Pat O'Brien plays guitar on the right side of the stage, Rob Barrett is on the far left, Alex Webster, the bassist is on the left but in between the guitars. Vocals are centered where George Fisher sings in front of the centered drums.

Panning is the issue. When Pat plays a guitar part it is panned to the right in concert and on CD. When Rob plays a guitar part it is panned to the left in concert and on CD. The drummer, Paul Mazurkiewicz is right handed and his drum rolls go visually (Viewing the stage) from right to left. Again, that's right to left. When listening to and viewing the concert, the sound was left to right, listening to the CD, also left to right... backwards!!! They pan the drums from the perspective of the drummer as apposed to the listener. I have noticed the WHOLE drum set is backwards. The bell of his ride, which I have watched him bang away on is to HIS right, our left when viewing him from the audience. It is audible on the right both in concert and on the CD. I have noticed this recording error on many many albums now. Why are they recording drums from the view of the drummer and not the listening audience as they are doing for the rest of the bands?

Go ahead... go listen for yourselves... they are doing it wrong!!! Someone PLEASE find me a band that has the drums recorded from our perspective as the listener.

The pic is from the concert my brother and I attended on March 3, 2015 at the Fillmore in Charlotte, NC. I got hit/kicked in the head by a crowd surfer and almost knocked out for the last song of the night (Hammer Smashed Face)

IMG_20150303_214919.jpg

fithwheel

Dec 8, 2017
indiana
Man that's some hard core white power type music. Love me some metal but when the vocals start to become unintelligible I'm out.. some of the names they come up with corpse grider man just the name puts a fd up image in your head. I've tried to listen to some of it. Dying fetus cannibal corpse etc. Some of them don't sound too bad till the vocals come in. To each their though I just never got the extreme singing but yeah live recordings suck for the most part..

• Thanks
Reactions: Popwarhomie
OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Man that's some hard core white power type music. Love me some metal but when the vocals start to become unintelligible I'm out.. some of the names they come up with corpse grider man just the name puts a fd up image in your head. I've tried to listen to some of it. Dying fetus cannibal corpse etc. Some of them don't sound too bad till the vocals come in. To each their though I just never got the extreme singing but yeah live recordings suck for the most part..
I'm pretty much spread out on the music I listen to. It helps if you have the lyrics in front of you... it's easier to make out the growling into words lol. On the opposite end vocally of metal is King Diamond... he sings with a falsetto. Ever seen Clerks 2? When Jay and Silent Bob are first seen, that music is King Diamond "Welcome Home" from the album "Them". A great band to listen to vocally is Testament. He sings but when he growls it is real low but you can still hear all the words clearly... great talent. Their guitarist Alex Skolnick is a Jazz guitarist but his Metal guitar is outstanding.

fithwheel

Dec 8, 2017
indiana
I'm familiar with thoes bands. I listen to lamb of God kill switch etc. Alien weaponry new band I really got into last year. Kinda hard to read lyrics driving down the road lol. But yeah I can't a whole song of growl 

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I'm familiar with thoes bands. I listen to lamb of God kill switch etc. Alien weaponry new band I really got into last year. Kinda hard to read lyrics driving down the road lol. But yeah I can't a whole song of growl 
Lol well yeah, not while you're driving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds