Testing used amp

jcash1995
10+ year member

Illinois
I just bought a used Beretta. In the trunk was a Jensen XA-6040LX. The rest of the stereo was missing. So, I removed the amp to make sure it worked before I took the time to remove the interior to wire a new stereo. If I hook this up directly to a battery ( - on amp to - on battery, + and remote on amp to + on battery), the power light on the amp should come on, right. I have done this, replaced both fuses, but still nothing. any suggestions?

It should. I am not sure about the model, but some amps come with a input sensor, that will not kick the amp on until there is voltage (music) comming through the RCA's. But I do not think that is the problem.

I know its time consuming, but I would just go ahead and run my own wires, so that way I know everything is hooked up right. And it makes it easier if you have to troubleshoot something down the road.

Being semi-electronically talented, I pulled the board from the heatsink today. Looks like someone has tried to repair this before. Big chunk missing from ground strip near the power supply, they soldered in an 18 ga wire, but it rubbed on the heatsink. That explains the black soot on the inside of the heatsink. And I thought I was gonna get off cheap.

The car gets gutted this weekend to run wiring. Now it looks like I gotta spend some $$$ on a couple amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.