Tapping threads in 15" DC Audio XL - Advice Needed!!!!

Participant count
  • Participants list

nissanrider06
10+ year member

VooDoo
Eagan, MN
So I got a DC XL 15" beast and the basket is attached to the magnet with 6 1/4"-28 x1/2" long bolts and they all stripped out during shipping. So I am about to buy a tap/drill combo set. Now I am assuming I will just need the next size up which is a 5/16" tap and drill combo which I assume comes with a 1/4" drill to clean up all the old threads that are in the motor holes?

Does anyone know if this is the right size tap I will need? Can I just drill out the basket if needed to fit the bigger bolts? Any sources would be great as well!

I am going to try and get 3/4" bolts instead of the weak *** 1/2" ones that came stock I dont know if they will fit yet. Im also using a grip of lock tight. Also what pitch tap will I need? I am not saying its DC's fault i havnt heard of this happening before and it wasnt packaged well from the guy who shipped it.

And last thing, someone said I gotta remove my top plate to do this? Is that true, its not mis aligned or anything???

Thanks for the help! (if anyone responds lol i have bad luck with threads //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif )

the bolts are not broken off in the magnet, the bolts were ripped out of the magnet and are still in the basket, There was no support under the magnet, so if it was dropped from 6 feet, the basket had something to support it but the magnet had nothing to slow it down or stop it so gravity just kept pulling it and the bolts were not strong enough to stop it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Now The bolts shouldnt go all the way through right? I alredy made the mistake of leaving the motor sit in my room with out taping it up so i cleaned the dust out, but i def dont want metal shavings in there, I think that link I posted with the helicoil type kit will work best.

can make the threads prefect if the top plate is removed but might be able to drill and tap without removing.

the link you posted is helicoils if you have never put them inbefore even dont bother, esp if they have a tang.

1/2" bolts is more than enough you dont want any longer. dont want locktite on ur threads eather lil e6000 bolt to basket...

uhhhh! You just had to say that lol! Thats what they told me over at SMD, Now im ordering the kit and I got to prove you wrong, Hope Im not in over my head, and its as easy as it looks (drill out, screw in tap, screw in new coil threads and sha-BAM! LOL) Wish me luck, will post pics when Im done. Even though after I spend the $50 on the recoil kit and extra stuff I will need, and the $135 on the recone, I'll be almost at what you would of charged me to fix it, but I REALLY REALLY want to learn this, I will take pics along the way and hopefully help someone else in my shoes some day. But cant beat $185 for a 15" XL, If it turns out...

Now will it be a bad idea to put a little E-6000 on the recoils and bolts when I put them in?

striped out normally you cna just retap it the same size and it works fine.. i tap all kinds of stuff from stainless 316 to high carbon steel.. rearly do you have to redrill and upsize..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nissanrider06

10+ year member
VooDoo
nissanrider06
Eagan, MN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date