Swapping flooded for AGM battery under hood, any modifications needed? Any risks?

Lowkey
10+ year member

I've heard/read contradicting information that I'm hoping you all can clarify for me. I'm upgrading electrical on a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe and I'm trying to figure out if its safe to replace the old flooded battery with an AGM?

Since I can't mix the two types I'd like to buy two AGM batteries at the same time, one for primary (under hood) and the other secondary (next to amp). Can I simply swap in the AGM without any problems? It can get very hot here during the summer, will that be an issue?

(I have a 270a alt ordered and I'll do the big 3 when I put that in. Just running a CAB-22 (2450 RMS) at the moment but I will likely add another amp to the mix)

TIA

Yes you can direct swap to an AGM with zero issues. Many cars come with AGMs from the factory. You can mix AGM with lead acid as well. They have a slight difference in resting voltage but work fine together.

FYI Cab-22 is only 2,200 RMS not 2,450. They hit 2,450 on certified on one and then 2,370 something on another. NEVER go by certified go by what the amp's RMS is. Strapped the Cab-22 is 4,400. I know I have one sitting in my vehicle right now.

FYI Cab-22 is only 2,200 RMS not 2,450. They hit 2,450 on certified on one and then 2,370 something on another. NEVER go by certified go by what the amp's RMS is. Strapped the Cab-22 is 4,400. I know I have one sitting in my vehicle right now.

I just use certified dyno to get an idea of what the amp is capable of, I realize with rise and depending on electrical its not going to do that.

Just making sure as a couple of them didn't make that. All in all they are a decent amplifier. I paid 179.99 for mine plus a 1 year warranty and with shipping it was 219. Now they are 250 plus shipping. Thinking of selling mine later this year and going to a SIA 3K or SFB 3K for the extra power. Mine has very little use on it and since I put it in there is maybe 1,000 miles on the vehicle if that. Also you can pop off the back cover to make sure there is nothing wrong with it as well and it doesn't void the warranty another nice feature that Apex does.

Just making sure as a couple of them didn't make that. All in all they are a decent amplifier. I paid 179.99 for mine plus a 1 year warranty and with shipping it was 219. Now they are 250 plus shipping. Thinking of selling mine later this year and going to a SIA 3K or SFB 3K for the extra power. Mine has very little use on it and since I put it in there is maybe 1,000 miles on the vehicle if that. Also you can pop off the back cover to make sure there is nothing wrong with it as well and it doesn't void the warranty another nice feature that Apex does.
You still looking to sell that amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...