Sundown Audio SA12 bottoming out

Pull the sub and free air it a bit to see if you hear any ticks as you take up the power
I don't think it's the h/u

Many many people have used those eonon units with great results

You probably are near the upper limits of the sub
not sure how its the upper limits of the sub if he's not even playing below 35hz. I've seen people run 3k to a pair of sa 15s wired to 1 ohm and they didnt bottom unless they played well below port tuning with subsonic off with a moderate clip.

That's what's weird, I get this even with my subsonic filter on. With that said, I'm wondering if my sub is damaged in some way internally that would cause this. It still can hit as hard as it always has, but I have my gain really low for the time being until I figure this out as I don't want to damage it further.

I'll try to record a video when I get home, not sure if it'll be helpful

That's what's weird, I get this even with my subsonic filter on. With that said, I'm wondering if my sub is damaged in some way internally that would cause this. It still can hit as hard as it always has, but I have my gain really low for the time being until I figure this out as I don't want to damage it further.
I'll try to record a video when I get home, not sure if it'll be helpful
take the sub out of the box and record free air. Touch any parts like the dustcap, spiders or tinsel leads or spiders or coil formor for any signs of loose seperation or tears.

I've had some issues back then where when pushed a bit, the sub would sound like a wood pecker destroying a trash can. It was a bad ground. the other time was my battery dying.

The sub is secured in the box (MDF) with wood screws. Is it better to use those metal things that dig into the wood to screw into?

Did that, it looks perfect. I'll try playing free air this weekend. Did I set gain super low to do this or what
just slowly raise the volume up until you hear the noise I'd suggest going bluetooth and controlling the volume with your phone and removing the mids and highs remote wire so all you hear will be the sub. Try to push it as hard as humanly possible so you can feel where might damages be.

If the sub doesnt make any noise free aired, then its your box falling apart.

If you havent done so already, push down on the sub to see if there's any coil rub.

Lol, what does a label matter?
I like it because it has a factory fit, I like having android, and no big name manufacturers make these units yet, plus I'm no hardcore sq person..I obviously want it to sound decent, and it does and has up until now. You sound like the type that would say my amps **** too because they are soundstream and were ~$150.
Nah i dont hate on everything. Im getting a cab1600.1 and thats about as budget and non big name as u can get. I just dont like all these chinease products with a bunch of different brand names. It seems cheap to me. I guess i dont understand what you mean it has a factory fit. All hu shoukd look like a factory fit. They make mounting kits for EVERY aftermarket hu. For example my envoy has a doubke din factory touchscreen. If i replaced it with another double din it would look factory. Maybe if u posted some pics it would help us understand what you mean by keeping the factory look

Factory fit...prob flush-fit I bet.

Even a single din radio with the appropriate in dash kit and whoever installs it that knows what they're doing (John Kuthe's mystery install guy excluded) should look good.

I took the sub out of the box and did a test as suggested. You can hear what I thought is/was bottoming out noise. If you guys have any ideas of what it can be, please let me know. It's weird, it doesn't do it on the lows, it looks like its only at a certain frequency.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97433215/BRZ/Audio/SubNoise.mp4
its not bottoming out, not even close thats not the sound of bottoming out. Either you have a bad ground or there's some damage to the tinsel leads or your formor is seperating from the spiders or there's a tear in the spider. Could also be a loose dustcap.

Check grounds first, if that doesnt work, you are due for a recone.

I took the sub out of the box and did a test as suggested. You can hear what I thought is/was bottoming out noise. If you guys have any ideas of what it can be, please let me know. It's weird, it doesn't do it on the lows, it looks like its only at a certain frequency.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97433215/BRZ/Audio/SubNoise.mp4
That is what a yard sale woofer with a rattle sounds like. She needs a recone. Only like $60 for a SA I do believe

What is the cause of this and how do I re-cone it?
Cause- shlt happens lol. Gotta cut it apart and see if u can find what's wrong. U might not see anything wrong. I've had one woofer with a rattle like that and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Plenty of videos on how to recone

Looks like a lot of work, am I better off just buying a new sub? I cannot hear this sound while listening to music, it's only when I am looking at the sub while its playing in my trunk. What can happen if I let it ride? Any chance of fire?

Looks like a lot of work, am I better off just buying a new sub? I cannot hear this sound while listening to music, it's only when I am looking at the sub while its playing in my trunk. What can happen if I let it ride? Any chance of fire?
no chance of fire. Just use it till it dies and dont worry about it. When it does die you can get a new one. Reconing would be best but cleaning the sub by hand is a b*tch if you dont have some tools to speed things up. Glueing and putting things together is the easy part.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Sizzlechest
NJ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from