Sundown Audio SA12 bottoming out

NJ
I have the sub in a sealed box, sized according to specs for a sealed enclosure (1 cu foot?). I am running it at 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm. I recently switched head units and was adjusting the gain and noticed I was bottoming out at low freqs. I had my subsonic set to 0/off since setting this system up but decided to set it to 30/40hz to help prevent the bottoming out. Now the system sounds overall weaker. Is there anything else I can do to prevent bottoming out? Is it too much power? Any advice is appreciated.

That sub would love a ported box but if you dont want to make a new one i would tbink your head unit has either a built in subsonic or the eq on the head unit is focused too high

RMS(continuous power) for that sub is 650 watts. But could prob take a little more power. 1000 might be too much for it, turn the gain down, and check with settings on HU and amp.

What's your max dimensions in your vehicle? And what vehicle is it?

Lower your ssf to roughly 25

That should keep it from bottoming but not effect your output

How big is the box?

The sa's will take 600w free air before they get close to bottoming

Also what songs are you playing that go that low?

Lower your ssf to roughly 25That should keep it from bottoming but not effect your output

How big is the box?

The sa's will take 600w free air before they get close to bottoming

Also what songs are you playing that go that low?
Set it to 25hz? Box is 1 cu ft IIRC. Its relatively small. The song I tuned with is DJ Khaled - Do you mind.

RMS(continuous power) for that sub is 650 watts. But could prob take a little more power. 1000 might be too much for it, turn the gain down, and check with settings on HU and amp.
What's your max dimensions in your vehicle? And what vehicle is it?
Their site says 750. Its small, Subaru brz

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it possible that the sub is blown because it now taps when driven hard? It did not do this when I initially set up the system. I used to be able to drive it like crazy and it never tapped.

I have the sub in a sealed box, sized according to specs for a sealed enclosure (1 cu foot?). I am running it at 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm. I recently switched head units and was adjusting the gain and noticed I was bottoming out at low freqs. I had my subsonic set to 0/off since setting this system up but decided to set it to 30/40hz to help prevent the bottoming out. Now the system sounds overall weaker. Is there anything else I can do to prevent bottoming out? Is it too much power? Any advice is appreciated.
listing head unit models would help along with how you set your gains and ALL head unit settings as well. Yes list every single bit of your head unit setting even your max volume and your current settings.

that song doesnt even play low....
Which is even a bigger problem then

Pull the sub and check the lead wires and around for rips or any damage.
I did, everything looks fine. Could this maybe be the result of a sub not being tightly enough secured in the box (leakage)? Desperate for an answer to get this fixed.

listing head unit models would help along with how you set your gains and ALL head unit settings as well. Yes list every single bit of your head unit setting even your max volume and your current settings.
HU is one of them double din Android units from China. Gain set by playing a 50hz tone and increasing until distortion and then backing off a bit. Max volume is 30? EQ in android itself is flat, using viper4android with a u-ish shaped curve. Bass boost on amp is off. Loud is off.

Could this be a problem at the source? I would think the issue is at the sub. The amps low pass and subsonic filters do not allow shrug that I do not want to reach it, right?

Which is even a bigger problem then
I did, everything looks fine. Could this maybe be the result of a sub not being tightly enough secured in the box (leakage)? Desperate for an answer to get this fixed.

HU is one of them double din Android units from China. Gain set by playing a 50hz tone and increasing until distortion and then backing off a bit. Max volume is 30? EQ in android itself is flat, using viper4android with a u-ish shaped curve. Bass boost on amp is off. Loud is off.

Could this be a problem at the source? I would think the issue is at the sub. The amps low pass and subsonic filters do not allow shrug that I do not want to reach it, right?
Sounds like a dirty signal from a china head unit. How in the hell would it be the subs fault if the only thing you swapped is the head unit.

Usually bottoming out means sending a lot of power to it.
It doesnt sound like its actually mechanically bottoming out since op is not even playing low. Sounds like a weak dirty signal causing an overload of distortion. Had an issue like that with a guy swapping out a kenwood single din for a power acoustik double din and he lost soo much output and his sub sounded wierd when pushed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Sizzlechest
NJ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from