Subwoofers suddenly stopped working but amp powers on?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Amerrill707

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2 Rockford fosgate 12s wired at 1 ohm and a skar audio sk-m5001d amp, basically one day my subs work and when I woke up the next morning they weren’t working I’ve tried everything from replacing the fuse under the hood, too rewiring everything into the amp. The amp powers on but as I said nothing is working I’m thinking maybe it’s the amp.

I’m gonna try that. So if the subs start moving with the adapter and phone plugged in that will basically mean the amp is screwed right ?
That would actually mean that either your radio is screwed, or the wiring between the radio and amp. Unless of course you are using high level inputs.

I’m gonna try that. So if the subs start moving with the adapter and phone plugged in that will basically mean the amp is screwed right ?
Like LsGuy said, the amp will be ok. You said bass went dead but did not mention the other speakers. So I assume radio is still playing. If amp works with the phone, that will mean RCAs are bad, bass knob is bad, or subwoofer output settings on the radio were changed.

Or... god forbid you clipped the subs to death. That's a small amp and people try to get loud, getting a little bit extra volume wise on only 500 watts makes it easy to clip unless you understand what exactly you're doing and realize there's only so much you're going to get.

Have you tested impedance since it happened or popped them with a battery?

Like LsGuy said, the amp will be ok. You said bass went dead but did not mention the other speakers. So I assume radio is still playing. If amp works with the phone, that will mean RCAs are bad, bass knob is bad, or subwoofer output settings on the radio were changed.
Yes the radio is still working just no bass at all, I tried the phone thing but there was no bass at all, and none of the settings on the radio were changed

Yes the radio is still working just no bass at all, I tried the phone thing but there was no bass at all, and none of the settings on the radio were changed
Do you have an multimeter. If yes, you set it to a/c volts and connect it to the amp as if it was a speaker. Power on the amp and raise the volume. Check to see if voltage is jumping around. If yes, amp is ok. If you do not have a multimeter, you can test your amp with another speaker.
You can also test your subs by using the ohms setting on your subs. Set multimeter to ohms and connect it to the sub's input. They should red 1-1.8 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.