Subwoofer Recommendation

RedHotRiplets

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance.

I posted this on Reddit and it looks like it covered everything discussed in the recommendation sticky.

• What are your goals for your car audio system - as loud as possible (SPL)? Sound quality (SQ)? Some combination of both? Describe to us how you want your system to sound.

Sound quality/bass. Primary type of music is rap, although I listen to almost any genre. I love the lows, I like to physically feel the music. I am looking to improve sound from my current setup while taking up less trunk space, I want to keep in mind low profile and/or one sub box, versus my current setup of dual 12" subs in a large, ported box.

────────

• What vehicle? - year, make, model, type (coupe, sedan, SUV, truck, etc.)

2015 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan. Sub will be stored in trunk.

────────

• What is your maximum budget?

Flexible. $500-$750 Depends if current amp will need replaced.

────────

• Will you be installing the gear or are you going to a shop? If a shop is doing the work, does your budget include the cost of labor?

Already have subs professionally installed and wired. I will be swapping out the subwoofer (and amp if needed)

────────

• What gear is in your existing system? (Is it stock?

Aftermarket JBL Club 6520 speakers JBL Club 750T tweeters 2 12" Infinity subs (old, I don't know model, but can provide pic)

Amp: Kenwood Class D Mono Power Amplifier X500-1

• What is your country of purchase?

United States.

I am looking to improve sound while making my trunk more useful. Ideally an excellent quality 12" sub that can be powered by my current amplifier. Thanks in advance.

- Matt

Are you replacing your current sub? Looking for equivalent or gains or different frequency response or... what prompted your question?

Mainly I wanted to free up trunk space. I have two old 12" infinity subs in a massive ported box which takes up my entire trunk. They sound fine, but I know they were on the cheaper end and they're likely 10+ years old. So I'm trying to get better quality in a low profile enclosure, and figured I could upgrade while shrinking in size. I like the low lows that tickle your hair if that makes sense.

Someone also recommended this one to me elsewhere, what's your thoughts on it compared to the one you suggested? Both are similar price points so I'll research both.
My son had the HO12W3 with JL VX1000.5 in his car sound tight and clean
Or Hertz MP300.3 the MP300 sound a bit cleaner but you have to built a box for it

Last edited:
Mainly I wanted to free up trunk space. I have two old 12" infinity subs in a massive ported box which takes up my entire trunk. They sound fine, but I know they were on the cheaper end and they're likely 10+ years old. So I'm trying to get better quality in a low profile enclosure, and figured I could upgrade while shrinking in size. I like the low lows that tickle your hair if that makes sense.
Thats not easy to do(Lows that tickle your hair) on 500 watts on a single sub in trunk space with a small enclosure

I would look at like a 10" American Bass XFL DVC2 ohm sub in like a 1.6-1.8 ported enclosure on a minimum of a 1k-2k mono amplifier to serve any justice

I like Bobbys Recommendation for this thread. This ten will do some work in a tuned ported enclosure

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...