Subwoofer Reccomendation (sorry in advance lol)

Aidan Fox

CarAudio.com Newbie
I know there's about a million guys always asking for sub recommendations, sorry to add to that count but I'm not sure what to get. I was looking at getting two Pioneer TS-D10D4's. They seem to be pretty well specced for the price, but I'm still fairly new to car audio, so any advice is appreciated. I am also open to the idea of just spending more money on a single sub setup.

Number of subs preferred: I would like to do a dual sub setup, but not opposed to a single setup.
Size preferred: 10inch
Budget: $750ish for speakers, enclosure, and amp (both of the enclosures I was looking at are $240-$250 after shipping)
Power source: Pioneer GM-DX871 800w RMSx1@1 Ohm (I don't have this amp yet, so if anybody has any recommendations for an amp that fits in my budget, then shoot)
Space available: There are two companies that make a custom fit box for my truck (1999 Ford F150 Single Cab). One has a mounting depth of 8.5" and an internal volume of 0.8 cubic feet per chamber (available in a single and dual speaker configuration), and the other is available with a 5.5" or 6.125" mounting depth, and 0.65 cubic feet per chamber (only available in a dual speaker setup).

Goals: Looking for a sub setup to go with my door speakers. Gonna be running 4 Alpine R series door speakers off a Pioneer GM-DX874 (100wx4) Not looking for some crazy competition setup. Mainly want it to sound good, but I do like my bass a little on the louder side. Right on the line between comfortable listening and slightly obnoxious.

Listening habits: Rap/ Reggae

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: No preferred brand

I know there's about a million guys always asking for sub recommendations, sorry to add to that count but I'm not sure what to get. I was looking at getting two Pioneer TS-D10D4's. They seem to be pretty well specced for the price, but I'm still fairly new to car audio, so any advice is appreciated. I am also open to the idea of just spending more money on a single sub setup.

Number of subs preferred: I would like to do a dual sub setup, but not opposed to a single setup.
Size preferred: 10inch
Budget: $750ish for speakers, enclosure, and amp (both of the enclosures I was looking at are $240-$250 after shipping)
Power source: Pioneer GM-DX871 800w RMSx1@1 Ohm (I don't have this amp yet, so if anybody has any recommendations for an amp that fits in my budget, then shoot)
Space available: There are two companies that make a custom fit box for my truck (1999 Ford F150 Single Cab). One has a mounting depth of 8.5" and an internal volume of 0.8 cubic feet per chamber (available in a single and dual speaker configuration), and the other is available with a 5.5" or 6.125" mounting depth, and 0.65 cubic feet per chamber (only available in a dual speaker setup).

Goals: Looking for a sub setup to go with my door speakers. Gonna be running 4 Alpine R series door speakers off a Pioneer GM-DX874 (100wx4) Not looking for some crazy competition setup. Mainly want it to sound good, but I do like my bass a little on the louder side. Right on the line between comfortable listening and slightly obnoxious.

Listening habits: Rap/ Reggae

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: No preferred brand

Two VFL 8's on a Sundown SIA1250.

These will work great sealed up to 1.0 cu ft.I have an older pair of DVC4 these series and an newer pair of DVC2 they are great subs for the $. A nice compact amplifier to put on these works well. I like the CT Sounds Amps too. Taramps would work just fine as well. These should keep you within budget with the enclosure you are looking at and find a decent amp kit

These will work great sealed up to 1.0 cu ft.I have an older pair of DVC4 these series and an newer pair of DVC2 they are great subs for the $. A nice compact amplifier to put on these works well. I like the CT Sounds Amps too. Taramps would work just fine as well. These should keep you within budget with the enclosure you are looking at and find a decent amp kit

How is the sound quality on these? I'm not some audiophile, but I'm a musician (not some SoundCloud dude, like the entirety of my income is from music) so I have a little better ear than most. Not doubting your reccomendation, just don't have any expirience with these subs.

How is the sound quality on these? I'm not some audiophile, but I'm a musician (not some SoundCloud dude, like the entirety of my income is from music) so I have a little better ear than most. Not doubting your reccomendation, just don't have any expirience with these subs.
They sound very nice in a nicely built enclosure. They really do well ported and tuned. It really depends on the enclosure they will go in. I myself have a little better hearing than most at my old azzed age. Its hard for me to ride with anyone else to the store and back and listen to a stock system, it makes me cringe just about every time as well as an outdoor speaker system at someones house at a get together. These are really great subs. . These will work just fine for the budget. A little more funds, Id look at Dayton Audio HO Series 10s for that small amount of space you are willing to give up for your substage.

IMHO, you might want to look elsewhere. Soundqubed's build quality is pretty good, especially for the price point. I'm not saying they sound bad, but Soundqubed's target audience is the "street bass" crowd. Also looking at that sub's specs screams "ported" to me and I assume the enclosure you're looking at is sealed. For sealed enclosures output is determined by the subwoofer's Xmax spec (how far the cone moves before distortion gets too bad). Higher power ratings benefit ported subwoofers that don't have to move as much to create bass.

I'd look Image Dynamics ID or IDQ. The ID may be lacking a little on the low end for your listening tastes (it's a low Q woofer that really benefits from being ported). Look at the Dayton Reference line of subs. The SSA Demon could be a good choice and the Incriminator I series or Lethal Injection might be up your alley. I'd give the Alpine Type S subs a look. When researching your subs, keep in mind whether they have vented motor or not. If they have a vented motor, then you need to add another ~1" mounting depth clearance so the vented motor can "breath." If you block the vent the motor will overheat and you'll cook the voice coil. Non-vented motors (ie SSA Demon) can go right up against the enclosure wall.

Honestly.. In a sealed enclosure, The Kicker C10 or CVR subs get down. Ive helped a guy that used to live next door with a single cab ford F150.. like an o2 or 04 model. he bought some Cheap Kenwood 12s.He built an sealed angled enclosure with approx 1" from the seats so the subs had some room to move and not get torn up. I talked him into drilling (2) 1-5/8 inch holes and getting some 1.5 PVC and we kept bringing it up until he liked the tuning.(its all the room he had on top of the box to work with)Cut it off and Siliconed it. I gave him a deal on a couple amps.(Xtant wood grain 600.1 and an Old Crossfire CFA302 on the Polk DB 6.5 components I talked him into buying on line $99 bucks back then). We Tuned the enclosure from my garage with the enclosure in the truck and on an HU and an AGM Battery with a battery charger and same amp.I helped him get the amps installed, under the seats and his HU in,and I had an older Indash EQ I gave him. It was fun, and most of all.. It was real satisfaction to see that guy with a big smile across his face every time I saw him. It sounded really good for as little money he had in it all. He got the wood off of odd jobs, piping and screws he picked up, and talked other trades into caulk ect with clean up trading. Really nice young guy working hard daily in the construction field. I did a little $ and some bartering with some Lawn activity and a 6 pack Tallboys😬

IMHO, you might want to look elsewhere. Soundqubed's build quality is pretty good, especially for the price point. I'm not saying they sound bad, but Soundqubed's target audience is the "street bass" crowd. Also looking at that sub's specs screams "ported" to me and I assume the enclosure you're looking at is sealed. For sealed enclosures output is determined by the subwoofer's Xmax spec (how far the cone moves before distortion gets too bad). Higher power ratings benefit ported subwoofers that don't have to move as much to create bass.

I'd look Image Dynamics ID or IDQ. The ID may be lacking a little on the low end for your listening tastes (it's a low Q woofer that really benefits from being ported). Look at the Dayton Reference line of subs. The SSA Demon could be a good choice and the Incriminator I series or Lethal Injection might be up your alley. I'd give the Alpine Type S subs a look. When researching your subs, keep in mind whether they have vented motor or not. If they have a vented motor, then you need to add another ~1" mounting depth clearance so the vented motor can "breath." If you block the vent the motor will overheat and you'll cook the voice coil. Non-vented motors (ie SSA Demon) can go right up against the enclosure wall.

Thanks for the advice. Also yes I forgot to mention I'm going to be running a sealed setup. I have a buddy running two Alpine S series subs in his truck and they sounded pretty good. I may give those a look. But what would make some of this rspeskers you reccomended better than the Pioneers I was looking at? I'm in no way set on getting the Pioneers, just so I have a better idea of what to look for the next time I pick out speakers.

Thanks for the advice. Also yes I forgot to mention I'm going to be running a sealed setup. I have a buddy running two Alpine S series subs in his truck and they sounded pretty good. I may give those a look. But what would make some of this rspeskers you reccomended better than the Pioneers I was looking at? I'm in no way set on getting the Pioneers, just so I have a better idea of what to look for the next time I pick out speakers.

The Pioneers have a high Q and VAS, which means they need a big sealed enclosure. They aren't bad subs, but unless you're getting them cheap, I'd look elsewhere.

I would suggest a custom box always but understand that budgets always a concern. I loved my IDQ’s sealed but they want space. I’d look at some SSA Demons or IA I series. Pioneers amps are solid for the price but I haven’t checked their price in a while.

I would suggest a custom box always but understand that budgets always a concern. I loved my IDQ’s sealed but they want space. I’d look at some SSA Demons or IA I series. Pioneers amps are solid for the price but I haven’t checked their price in a while.

That is true. The IDQ 12s aren't bad, but the 10s require the same amount of space as the 12s. The ID subs do have a uniquely clean sound IMHO. For the money, the SSA Demon is a better choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...