Subwoofer making steady knocking noise with no music/volume

Participant count
  • Participants list

pioneerwes

CarAudio.com Newbie
NYC
Hello All, complete newbie here. Let me also preface this post by saying I dont know crap about amps, wattage, copper wires etc.

I have a Pioneer D8601 Mono Amp paired with a Pioneer 12 inch shallow mount. The other day I was repositioning the subwoofer in my trunk and the amp power wire came out. This is a bare copper wire without a plug. I assume it was soldered in to the jack? Anyway if I stick the wire in it powers the amp and the subwoofer starts playing but fluctuates from full to limited power and vice versa (I have not touched the gain). Recently, it started making a knocking noise every second or so even when the music is paused or the volume is at 0 (video attached) .

Any ideas here? I would assume its the bad/loose power wire and it just needs to be soldered back in to the jack?

Thank you all. Newbie out.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.MOV
    14.2 MB
Last edited:
remove the fuse from your power wire or completely disconnect it from the battery.

at the amp, loosen the set screws and make sure all loose strands of wire is absent from terminals and reinstall making sure no strands cross over to the remote input. tighten the screws tight. problem with it coming out is it could have arced and if persists I would advise replacing the amp as it is probably going to get worse and can potentially take the sub with it.

Video it appears it might be sending DC voltage. Put a DMM on DC and check speaker terminals. DC is no good. usually it does see .03vdc and that's fine

A photo of the area where the bare copper wire is supposed to go and the terminal/jack would be helpful.
Please find the photos attached. Photos include bare wire, wire plugged into amp, and the input. This time when I tried it I did not hear the knocking noise.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
remove the fuse from your power wire or completely disconnect it from the battery.

at the amp, loosen the set screws and make sure all loose strands of wire is absent from terminals and reinstall making sure no strands cross over to the remote input. tighten the screws tight. problem with it coming out is it could have arced and if persists I would advise replacing the amp as it is probably going to get worse and can potentially take the sub with it.

Video it appears it might be sending DC voltage. Put a DMM on DC and check speaker terminals. DC is no good. usually it does see .03vdc and that's fine

Thanks for the response! I am still trying to process what you said, lol.... I will get back to you.

LOL....is this for real? society is getting dumber and dumber.....WTF is the wire shoved into the rca output?? hahahaha thank you this made my day

Thanks for the photos. I am also puzzled as to why a bare wire is pushed into an RCA terminal. Where does that wire lead to??? Just curious about how it works and what the purpose is.
Thanks

Thanks for the photos. I am also puzzled as to why a bare wire is pushed into an RCA terminal. Where does that wire lead to??? Just curious about how it works and what the purpose is.
Thanks
Thats where I thought it came out from 🤦‍♂️. Shoving it in would power the amp on so I figured it must be the correct place lol. The other guys post made me realize it's supposed to go on the other side. All is well now... peace

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.