Subwoofer disaster!

Participant count
  • Participants list

kensterken

CarAudio.com Newbie
Uk
Ok maybe a bit over dramatic, I decided to build my own subwoofer for my Mk1 Audi TT and wanted to fit it in the space where the existing unit was, giving myself a bit more room ripped out the CD changer and navigation unit etc.

Subwoofer spec here https://www.skaraudio.com/products/evl-65-inch-car-subwoofer

Using this speaker i thought for now id just build in one drive unit (i do have 2) as its such a small cabin i thought one would be enough. Ive built subs in the past albeit much bigger, this just sounds sh't the drive unit moves but no bass comes out, well none of importance and i would say most is from the doors, if try and drive it too hard i get the dreaded 'wop wop' and no increased sound.
Its running LPF cut off around 100hz and bridged from my pioneer amp. GM D8604

Do i add the second unit to the front? With the same box dimensions will that improve things? Should i scrap it and buy a base tube or box for the boot? The dimensions here were to fit in the space hence the narrow profile at the back. Anyway any comments most appreciated.

dimensions here.

Ok maybe a bit over dramatic, I decided to build my own subwoofer for my Mk1 Audi TT and wanted to fit it in the space where the existing unit was, giving myself a bit more room ripped out the CD changer and navigation unit etc.

Subwoofer spec here https://www.skaraudio.com/products/evl-65-inch-car-subwoofer

Using this speaker i thought for now id just build in one drive unit (i do have 2) as its such a small cabin i thought one would be enough. Ive built subs in the past albeit much bigger, this just sounds sh't the drive unit moves but no bass comes out, well none of importance and i would say most is from the doors, if try and drive it too hard i get the dreaded 'wop wop' and no increased sound.
Its running LPF cut off around 100hz and bridged from my pioneer amp. GM D8604

Do i add the second unit to the front? With the same box dimensions will that improve things? Should i scrap it and buy a base tube or box for the boot? The dimensions here were to fit in the space hence the narrow profile at the back. Anyway any comments most appreciated.

dimensions here.

need pics of where its actually at in the car as in is it at the stock location or is it somewhere up front?. along with how you are getting the signal.. aftermarket head unit? loc?

Have you verified that the box is 100% airtight? Assuming it is I'm also leaning towards suspecting that it's just where you have it in the car that's holding you back.

need pics of where its actually at in the car as in is it at the stock location or is it somewhere up front?. along with how you are getting the signal.. aftermarket head unit? loc?
Yes the unit is placed right behind the passenger/driver seats in Audi Mk1 TT roadster (only 2 seats)in fact where the original subwoofer was located. Pic below shows location dead center of car over gearbox tunnel, rear of box is actually in the back of the boot of the car

Config is
Pioneer MVH-X580DAB head unit --->RCA ---> Pioneer Amp GM D8604 LPF gain norm and i think cutoff around 100hz

Have you verified that the box is 100% airtight? Assuming it is I'm also leaning towards suspecting that it's just where you have it in the car that's holding you back.
I built the box with wood glue and a tube of clear silicone bead on every joint internally. I used a small tight hole for the cable exit which i also back up with silicone. I even ran a bead of silicone round the base of the drive unit and front face of cabinet before i screwed it on.

Im quite confident of no air leaks i certainly can't feel any when it's running.

I built the box with wood glue and a tube of clear silicone bead on every joint internally. I used a small tight hole for the cable exit which i also back up with silicone. I even ran a bead of silicone round the base of the drive unit and front face of cabinet before i screwed it on.

Im quite confident of no air leaks i certainly can't feel any when it's running.
OK, just throwing it out there because even a small air leak will rob you of a lot of output.

That does look like a terrible mounting location. Typically subwoofers do best in a corner. Of course you may be limited to mounting options. Can you test that box with the sub firing into the back corner of your trunk? That may help. Porting the box should gain 3dB but that may or may not be physically possible given your box dimensions.

you still havent addressed how you are getting your signal, does the car have a factory amp? is it still a factory head unit with an loc?

But that stock location is absolute atrocious. take it out, put it in the back firing towards the rear trunk/hatch lid.

you still havent addressed how you are getting your signal, does the car have a factory amp? is it still a factory head unit with an loc?

But that stock location is absolute atrocious. take it out, put it in the back firing towards the rear trunk/hatch lid.
Sorry just to clarfiy this was originally a Bose system but non of it is being used now.

I am running following
Pioner MVH-X580DAB Head unit
2RCA Feeds ->Pioneer AMP Front and SW

AMP - Pioneer GM D8604 4 channel

Channel A Fronts Apline S65C -
Channel B Bridged to subwoofer

All wires direct i have cutout using the old Audi wires as they passed back through the Bose Amp before feeding the doors for example.

Last edited:
I had zero results with that sub myself... wrote it up to being a larger-sub guy and used to more output.
Even ported...

XZe1UXA.jpg

4NNysql.jpg

I just gave up... lol... positioning and power (1200w) made no difference.
$60 thrown in the can to me... my weekly contribution to the needy anyways. No sweat here.

This is interesting thanks for your comments here as this box is certainly much larger than mine and you say you still have no base. Nice work on the cabinet by the way looks solid too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.