Subwoofer dilemma - 12" sundown doesn't go high enough, 10" kickers don't go low enough, what next?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blake Vandercar

CarAudio.com Newbie
I had a 12" Sundown SA-12 . Now have 2 Kicker CompRs. Both times, in sealed boxes.

Of course, all forums say that Sundowns are always better than Kickers. However, I now like the 10" kickers much better due to having a much wider frequency range (30-500 Hz) whereas the Sundown really failed to hit many of the higher bass notes in some songs. I mainly listen to dubstep, which often utilizes a really wide range of bass notes-- my best example would be Empathy by Bassnectar, in which the Sundown hit the lowest note of the bassline much louder, but barely made a peep at all from the highest note of the bassline. The kicker hits this high note, and the low note as well (just not as loudly as the 12")-- and overall, this wider range is why i prefer the 10" Kickers.

But still, I'm seeking something that can hit those high bass notes, but can also hit a little lower than my 10" kickers currently can.

What's the move? Find some higher-hitting 12s? Or some lower-hitting 10s? I just want a really wide frequency range-- lowest lows while not having a gap in the upper bass range. The 12" Kicker CompRs go up to 500Hz just like the 10" ones I have, but have a lower Fs, should I try those out? Then again, the whole internet saying that Sundown is best maybe makes me want to try their 10s out...

Or is this something hat could be fixed with my DSP PEQ?... Help me out please!

You are lacking mid range response not subwoofer response. Your headunit should be set to an 80hz lpf, at most it would be 120hz. Anything greater than that is played through your mid range speakers. What kind of head unit are you using, what kind of speakers are you using and how are they installed?

You are lacking mid range response not subwoofer response. Your headunit should be set to an 80hz lpf, at most it would be 120hz. Anything greater than that is played through your mid range speakers. What kind of head unit are you using, what kind of speakers are you using and how are they installed?

Stock HU, 6.5” component Rockford Fosgates, Pioneer amp. DSP EQing and subsequent RTA reading indicates adequate response above ~100Hz from the mid range speakers

actually analyzed the high note in the song I mentioned in Audacity. This was a while ago but I’m pretty sure it was somewhere around 60-80 Hz. I don’t know why the 12” Sundown sounded so so weak here...

What is the hpf set at on the sub amp? What is the lpf set at on the dsp? What model RF speakers? Sound deadedning on the doors? Mlv? Metal on metal? Any attempts to decouple? What kind of vehicle?

Need all that answered but its still sounding like a midbass issue not a sub issue.

Why in the world would you have subwoofers playing up to 500hz. BTW SAs are not made for sealed boxes.
They aren’t. I have a LPF for the sub at 200Hz. I just assumed that the fact that their frequency range goes up to 500 Hz indicates a better response at say, 80 Hz, than a sub that goes up to 200 Hz

What is the hpf set at on the sub amp? What is the lpf set at on the dsp? What model RF speakers? Sound deadedning on the doors? Mlv? Metal on metal? Any attempts to decouple? What kind of vehicle?

Need all that answered but its still sounding like a midbass issue not a sub issue.
All the way down on the sub amp, 10Hz HPF. 200Hz on the DSP (because like I said I want the widest frequency range— but would lowering this bring out the <40Hz freqs?)

yes dynamat. In doors. 2013 Honda Pilot. RF P165-SE 6.5” component speakers, but bypassed the passive crossover in favorite of having complete control of the tweeters and mids individually with the DSP. Yes I have a foam baffle, as well as those foam rings between the speaker edge and the door

I really do not think it’s a midbass problem. What I am saying is that I wish my 10” subs were stronger at 20-30 Hz, and my 12” were stronger at 80-100Hz, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on subs/sub setups to have both.

I really do not think it’s a midbass problem. What I am saying is that I wish my 10” subs were stronger at 20-30 Hz, and my 12” were stronger at 80-100Hz, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on subs/sub setups to have both.

You still don't understand. Subs aren't supposed to play 80-100Hz regions....midbass/midrange takes care of that. Sounds like your tuning is way off and needing some help. Btw, have @shredder2 design you a properly ported box for that sub of yours tuned to 30Hz like you want and should be A LOT better than sealed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.