Subwoofer amp killing main amp

Participant count
  • Participants list

jjsowa

CarAudio.com Newbie
I bought a semi truck with a custom audio setup. I wanted the factory head unit back (has engine gages and navigation for the truck. Peterbilt SmartNav) so I installed a line output converter (AudioControl LC8) I wanted the LC7i but that’s what my local shop had in stock and I was impatient. Hooked everything up and it’s working. However the subs are not hitting very hard. I tried to turn up the gain on the subs and when I do they start working like they should but my main amp shuts down. The red protect light does not turn on but the blue light goes out. All the while the sub amp keeps going. I’m just confused because they are separate amps. Why is one amp having an effect on the other. I was thinking it might be a power issue but it’s running on 7 batteries so that seems unlikely. I can run each one individually and they work great. It’s only when I try to run both with the gain on the subs turned up that it shuts the other amp down.

The mono block amp for the subs is the DS18 candy x1b and the main amp is a Taramps TS2000x4. I’ll spec the speakers if needed but like I said they work great by themselves so I can’t see it being a speaker problem. But I have no experience with this stuff so maybe I’m wrong.
Note: I have no idea if this problem existed before because the previous owner who had the system installed had destroyed the rcas running to the back. He ran them right through the bottom door trim and they got pinched every time he got in the vehicle. I wanted the factory head unit back so I saw no point in running new rcas if I had to install a line out converter.

but like I said they work great by themselves so I can’t see it being a speaker problem.
It sounds like a power supply issue. Take apart and clean every power junction. Start at the battery terminals, fuse, and junction block if present, then do the same for the ground. Make sure that the fuse by the battery has an amperage rating equal to the sum of both amp's ratings.

Okay thank you I will try that. The original installer just shoved the cables in there. Should I crimp some ferrules on them?

Maybe when the subs hit it’s causing a poor contact somewhere? You know how subs will rattle stuff. I know it’s a long shot but maybe a loose wire or connection?

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice so far. I have not had the chance to make any changes yet (truck driver). I don’t get much down time. Ordered a ferrule kit and I’m contemplating reworking the remote wire. Had something weird happen when I was hooking everything up. I had the remote wire running through the LC8 then going out to the sub amp then to the main amp. The main amp would turn on but not the subs. So I took the remote wire directly from the head unit to the subs and used the auto turn on feature of the LC8 to the main amp and they both came on. Something is sketchy about that setup. Maybe it’s insufficient voltage for both amps together. I have an unused relay back here from when I had my sleeper remodeled. I’m going to try to wire the remote wire to that relay then wire the relay to my amps. Then I can have a fused connection straight from the battery instead of running through the head unit or the LC8. What do y’all think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...