Subwoofer advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Snails

Hello,

I am currently looking for a subwoofer to pair with a set of Morel Tempo Ultra 602s which I will have running off a Precision Power P900.4. Going to be going into a 2012 Maxima, I'm open to sealed or ported, and do not mind filling the whole trunk with box. Planning to get the big 3. I'm trying to see what y'all think would be a good sub pairing with this front stage?

I currently have 2 older Fi Audio BL 12v3 that haven't ever been used, rated 1750RMS. I feel like that might be more SPL than I'm wanting, would be running those off a 5k Taramps. Should I just use one? Or should I look into a different sub?

Currently considering: Brahma Mk 2.5 12, SSA Icon 12. Maybe 2 Morel Primos but I feel like they might not hit hard enough. I'd be willing to buy 2 of whatever if required to get enough loudness. I'm looking for a mix of quality that can hit pretty hard when needed. Something like a JL 12w6 is probably more than I'm willing to spend on a single sub though, unless it's seriously worth that much. Also open to 10s if that might work better.

Pretty much exclusively listen to EDM, Hip Hop, and Rap. So getting that whole body quake on low notes is definitely desired, but i'd also like something that can handle the clear, fast bpm of some EDM tracks without getting too boomy.

Thanks for the help

Also, I went into thinking i had more questions than just subs, but this should probably be in the Subwoofer sections but I can't figure out how to delete/move it, sorry.

Last edited:
I’d just have a good ported box designed for the 2 subs you already have. You can always change it up if you don’t like their sound.
Thanks, that's probably the smart move to make. I am hesitant on investing a bunch into them though, if there are better choices out there for my tastes. Do you see them pairing alright with the Morels up front? My last experience with sound was 2 kicker 12s running about 200w each, and I loved the way it sounded, but it wasn't loud enough. Or rumble quite hard enough on those lows. Compared to that will 3500watts of sub be too much? Bought them a long time ago on a whim and never got around to actually using them. It stinks because I don't live near anywhere I can test some things out in person to really get a taste.

Just curious, but why’d you get a 5k amp if you’re not looking for SPL? Fi makes good subs so I’d wanna at least hear them before I move on to another sub. My ICON 15 on a 1500 watt amp was a good amount of SPL for me. It paired well with my door speakers, and they’re pushed by the factory amp. Since you’re running the Morel’s on an aftermarket amp I think they’d be fine with both subs, but if you wanna start off lower then just build a ported box for one. Personally, I’d build a box for both.

Agree with Marve. The FI BL is a nice sounding subwoofer depending on the enclosure you put it in. It’s not technically an SQ subwoofer but that doesn’t matter as much as the enclosure. I’m sure the BL will sound as good as your kickers did, probably better. That’s a huge upgrade. You’ll be so much louder than those kickers. Even one of them would be louder than the kickers even if you made the enclosure more towards sound quality than SPL.

Run the pair of FI subs tuned/ ported enclosure @ about 35-40 Htz for SQ area I think would be ideal. If you want to hit some lows Id tune to 30-32 HTZ and Tune accordingly ro your liking. That car has rattles All over it .. inside and out Just an FYI without doing some sound deadning, and the stock electrical for that 5 k is going to need to be upgraded to a min of 3 AGM batteries and the largest Stock Alt you can get( prob a 130amp) with the Big 3 All ) ga wiring .. Or HO Alt (250 min Id recommend)and maybe get bye with 2 decent AGM batteries @ best to maintain voltage needs. That PPI 4 ch is a great little powerhouse amplifier(I have 2 of the 1000.1d, a 900.4, and the 600.2) Great amps and small foot print.Always keep in mind and Ive always said.. It Takes Power to Make power as well to Maintain the needs for the Demand

The Fi BL's are good woofers; the way a sub stage sounds has a lot to do with how the box is tuned and the quality of the sub amp. The quality of the box and amp are, IMO, are more important than the sub itself. A good box will play what your ears really want to hear, and a good amp will properly control the woofer. Crappy amps and boxes can cause subs to have a very narrow bandwidth; both boxes and amps have a very important role on subwoofer stage bandwidth, peakiness, and the quality of sound.

IMO, dampening factor is the most overlooked statistics on a subwoofer amp. The dampening factor helps control the cone movement, ultimately, so that the amp doesn't lose control of the subwoofer cone. That means you can typically play further away from the tuning of a sealed or ported box. Sealed boxes do have specific tune to them (peak in Hz and severity of that peak), but it's woofer dependent.

You can make many subs play well, just as long as they are of decent quality. Those Brahmas are some of my newer favorites. I haven't heard them, but I design a lot, and their t/s look really good to me. I would really like to hear or have one of the Brahmas. If you mostly listen to Rap and EDM (like me), then those Fi BL's should work excellently, IMO.

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate it. Based off all of your suggestions I am going to run with the 2 Fis. The Amp to push them is the only thing I didn't buy back when I got everything else. What do you all think of Taramps? I have a 3k@1Ohm in my sights currently, I'm also scoping out the PRV Audio SQ3500X, but don't know much about PRV. Also found a GP-3500.1D which is from Crunch but 170$ seems kind of cheap for 3500watts so I'm skeptical. The subs are 1ohm DVC, 1750RMS.

I also have no experience building boxes and will have to go through a 3rd party for that. I do have the specs from Fi as for what they recommend for a ported box, should I just give those numbers to whoever I get to build the box?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate it. Based off all of your suggestions I am going to run with the 2 Fis. The Amp to push them is the only thing I didn't buy back when I got everything else. What do you all think of Taramps? I have a 3k@1Ohm in my sights currently, I'm also scoping out the PRV Audio SQ3500X, but don't know much about PRV. Also found a GP-3500.1D which is from Crunch but 170$ seems kind of cheap for 3500watts so I'm skeptical. The subs are 1ohm DVC, 1750RMS.

I also have no experience building boxes and will have to go through a 3rd party for that. I do have the specs from Fi as for what they recommend for a ported box, should I just give those numbers to whoever I get to build the box?
You are going to need some power to get those subs moving as a pair.. Min of 3500 rms up to 5k to be pleasing. Ive ran a gain matched pair of 3k 1 ohm Taramps and they did fine for me for each set of Older XFL 10s(4 tens). Ran pretty smooth at approx 12-Oclock position on gains. Pretty good and warm. Started to buy a PRV 5k but they disappeared on me / stopped making them when I had funds for it. I wanted due to size and the dual cooling fan option and the size, and try something different.Liked the color also.They stopped making them so I ended up with Taramps for a little while. Now they are Back when I dont need or want to purchase the PRV. ?? Where did they go for a while?? I thought that Genius were the Clones of PRV.?? I may pick up one of these before the end of the year to try. Im liking the Fan cooling system they have going on as well as where they are made. Price point is fair as well
Hate to be the Guinee Pig.. But I do like trying different things out alot. Im going to research this amp a little more

https://geniusaudiousa.com/en/ampli...0-w-max-5000-w-rms-estable-1-ohm-estereo.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...