Subs keep moving even when the music is off

BrentW

CarAudio.com Newbie
So my current system I've been running with no problems for about 6 months now. and randomly today when I got off work, I noticed the subs moving and making noises without anything playing or even muting the audio. they werent producing any bass or going along to any music. I played with the rca cables some and it will do it with them connected or not. I noticed as id plug them in and the rca wires would make contact it would get worse. and I'm not sure how to go about this

I noticed as id plug them in and the rca wires would make contact it would get worse. and I'm not sure how to go about this
Any time an amp produces sound without signal wires inserted, it is bad. On my old amps amps, if they did this, it was usually bad capacitors. Not saying that is the issue on yours, but if it is worth keeping, that is something you may want to inspect.

So my current system I've been running with no problems for about 6 months now. and randomly today when I got off work, I noticed the subs moving and making noises without anything playing or even muting the audio. they werent producing any bass or going along to any music. I played with the rca cables some and it will do it with them connected or not. I noticed as id plug them in and the rca wires would make contact it would get worse. and I'm not sure how to go about this

Check your amp ground.

If you push on the sub with your hand a little, does that start or increase the problem? Can you trigger the sub to make noise by manually moving its cone?

Systems need maintenance over time. Heat cycles and vibrations can loosen things up like your ground wire. That would be the absolute first thing I check. Idk if your ground is like on a bolt or self tapping screw or what, but check it.

Any time an amp produces sound without signal wires inserted, it is bad. On my old amps amps, if they did this, it was usually bad capacitors. Not saying that is the issue on yours, but if it is worth keeping, that is something you may want to inspect.
Yeah I'm hoping not because I do like my amp it's a pioneer d9705 I plan to check my ground and power to make sure everythings alright

What exactly do you mean by isolating the amp? And it's a pioneer d9705
Remove it from all possible sources of EMI, RFI, etc that could cause this.

Take it out and connect it direct to a power source (battery, clean power supply, etc).
If it’s still acting funky, you know it’s the amp. If not, now you have to find the gremlin in the car.
Start with the basics (power delivery and ground), then speaker connections, then the speakers, then your source connection, then your source. Don’t do it at random. Be methodical.
Zero out every possible cause until you find the problem.

Possible causes, faulty amplifier, damaged RCA's
One way to remedy the issue, is to take amp out and use another amp to see if the issue persists. If it still does, then also use different RCA's
With the orginal amp, bench test it with another subwoofer and different RCA, Once you have rectified, it then replace. Also check all wiring, amp, AND also take your subwoofers out from the box and check wiring. Put it all together and hope it all works as it should.

Lastly, check your head unit settings, subwoofer, phase, crossover points, bass boost, subsonic filter to see they are the way you set them, just to be sure.

Did you buy the amp new? Did you install it yourself? Wondering if the warranty is still in as it sounds like an amp problem.

Turn the car off, system off, then unplug the RCA, turn the cars ignition to the accessory position but don’t start it, then turn on the system, if the sub is still moving by itself the amp is likely bad.

What sub / impedance is it, and are you running the amps bass remote control? If so could try unplugging that and test without it as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...