Subs for small spaces/truck bed sub?

Steve_Yoda

CarAudio.com Newbie
New to car audio so hopefully I don't get flamed to bad :( So I have a tiny standard cab truck and I want to put a sub in it... I was told that most subs in a cab that small are not going to sound good. So I was wondering if I got a locking metal tool truck bed box and put two twelves in that would that sound good/work? Would I have to open the lid when running them or could I leave it closed? How would I do that really is what I'm asking. Also I have heard of bazooka subs for small spaces but idk anything about them and how they sound...?

Last edited:
Is that the truck in your profile picture? If so, you currently have a bench seat? That is what I have in my ‘96 f150 and after years of searching, I found some bucket seats. I tried many different setups behind the bench seat but it all resulted in not enough volume or uncomfortable seating. My brother actually found the buckets where he live and I’m waiting for him to bring him them to me. Once I get them, I’ll build a center console box.

Yep that's my truck 85' ranger... I actually have buckets in it rn. about 9in in between 10 if i squish the seat a little... Ill look into a center counsel sub how to those perform? If they sound great then it might be a good option but I was kind of looking to save space in the cab... That's why I thought a tool box might work cause i could just un bolt it when I need the bed...

Last edited:
New to car audio so hopefully I don't get flamed to bad :( So I have a tiny standard cab truck and I want to put a sub in it... I was told that most subs in a cab that small are not going to sound good. So I was wondering if I got a locking metal tool truck bed box and put two twelves in that would that sound good/work? Would I have to open the lid when running them or could I leave it closed? How would I do that really is what I'm asking. Also I have heard of bazooka subs for small spaces but idk anything about them and how they sound...?

Those Rangers are tiny behind the seats. I had a 94' and had move the passenger seat forward to squeeze in a single 8" behind the seat. Maybe, two shallow 8's would work. The Sundown ones look nice, but I've never ran them. 4-¾" mounting depth.
Screenshot_20200922-191517_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yep that's my truck 85' ranger... I actually have buckets in it rn. about 9in in between 10 if i squish the seat a little... Ill look into a center counsel sub how to those perform? If they sound great then it might be a good option but I was kind of looking to save space in the cab... That's why I thought a tool box might work cause i could just un bolt it when I need the bed...

Single AB XD8 behind the passengers seat. Get a couple of shallow 8's, because moving the seats forward sukks.
Screenshot_20200922-201924_Gallery.jpg

Ok thanks for the feedback guys... so overall what I'm getting getting is to just buy some good shallow 8's for behind the seats? Some good ones bang for buck?

Ok thanks for the feedback guys... so overall what I'm getting getting is to just buy some good shallow 8's for behind the seats? Some good ones bang for buck?

Would you have a pic of the box by any chance? Trying to come up with ideas on how I want to build mine

I would like to see a pic as well... or maybe dimensions thanks

I would have to pull out my hard drive to get pictures. Nothing special. Just a aero ported box between the front seats with two 8s.

Dimensions wouldn't help you since it's an F150

I would have to pull out my hard drive to get pictures. Nothing special. Just a aero ported box between the front seats with two 8s.

Dimensions wouldn't help you since it's an F150
Nice! If you do not mind, I may need your help/advice when I build mine. I want to use aero ports as well. I will be using a trio of Massive Audio summo 6.5’s. About the size of your box.

my truck is a 96 f150. Should be same size interior

I would say a center console box is the only real answer. Those 80’s Rangers have very little room behind the seats. Even a shallow 8 would be a challenge to get behind the seat if you are a tall guy.

I would suggest to spend the money on the Sundowns if possible. If not, then you could look at Kicker. But, the Sundown ones look pretty nice.
Screenshot_20200922-191517_Samsung Internet.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.