Subs cutting out

Boss audio is not known for being reliable or making anywhere near rated power.

That being said, you need to start by checking the voltage at the amplifier when it cuts off.

It could be numerous issues, but looking at the wattage you are trying to run, you definitely need more than stock electric. To get the 1800 watts that this amp is capable of, you’d need to keep the voltage over 14 volts. Alternator is the best way to get this. To run this amp and the vehicle accessories, you’ll need at least a 200 amp alternator and a decent battery. Your vehicle may have came stock with a 200 amp alt, but I doubt it. Even if it did, the manufacturer wanted that power for the actual vehicle for the accessories it came with.

Yep I am running stock battery and alternator. So should I upgrade both or can I just upgrade one?

You could just do a bigger alt. If your alt amperage > amplifier amperage draw, you won't have problems. Optimally, you'd like to have your factory alt amperage + the fusing of all of your amps in alt amperage, that almost guarantees that your equipment will not have electrical problems.

I'm not sure what Sundown 15's you have. I'm not hating or complaining, just being real. Boss products are not what you'd call high quality. That amp is more likely to have problems than say a traditional Sundown amp. There's a certain price level and quality of amplifier you can get that will lessen the chances of equipment problems. That Boss amp will probably be more likely to blow your subs from dirty power than many, many other amps would be. So just some food for thought :geek:

If I was you, I'd just get a bigger alt to start with. Keep what you have, just get a bigger alt.

And let me know if you want a good box to make those Sundown 15's loud. The box design absolutely can cause amp problems, especially if it's ported. I can design boxes to help with electrical problems. The way the sub moves in the box heavily changes the load on the amplifier. A poorly designed box can be hell on an amp; I'm not saying that's what's happening here. Just food for thought.

That amp only does 1000 watts rms on a dyno. No need for an HO alt or battery upgrade.

They aren't known for being reliable amps. Are you wired to 1 ohm? Is it possible you are wired to .5? Cause that would cause it to protect for sure.

Bought a battery to start with and quickly realized what the issue was. Loose power wire at the battery.

I know that Boss is not a good quality but I am slowly upgrading my system. I had the amp on a set of Planet Audio 15s. The box I have is a $300 box tuned at 33hz duel ported. It is a great box. I am upgrading the amp soon. The Sundown 15s are 500rms but I saw a video from Sundown which showed them taking a burst of over 5k watts.

I am wired at one ohm with this amp and it is doing pretty good with not clipping. But I am upgrading soon enough.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Bought a battery to start with and quickly realized what the issue was. Loose power wire at the battery.

I know that Boss is not a good quality but I am slowly upgrading my system. I had the amp on a set of Planet Audio 15s. The box I have is a $300 box tuned at 33hz duel ported. It is a great box. I am upgrading the amp soon. The Sundown 15s are 500rms but I saw a video from Sundown which showed them taking a burst of over 5k watts.

I am wired at one ohm with this amp and it is doing pretty good with not clipping. But I am upgrading soon enough.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

If you have the e-15's, I know box secrets for those, you can ask my last guy who I did a pair of e-15's for. Whatever you do, do not get 16 in^2/cube of port area on those subs. They DO NOT need it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...