Sub isn’t hitting as hard as I’ve seen others

Participant count
  • Participants list

mikeysheff12

CarAudio.com Recruit
Currently I have a Skar ZVX-12 paired with their RP-2000 amp, and with a 33hz ported box (link below for dimensions) my problem is that my sub isn’t hitting as hard as I’ve seen others do, the same exact sub, some with a 1800 watt amp and theirs still hit harder. I’ve tuned my amp with a multimeter and set the gain, lpf, and subsonic as needed. My head unit is set at volume 25 of 30. I can’t turn the gain up past 3/4 or my volume past 25 or my sub starts clipping. But what my questions is, do I need a bigger box, external battery or high output alternator, better head unit, better quality amp, etc. What can I do for my setup to make it louder, it make it hit harder?

link for box (https://sonix-enclosures.myshopify....ed-for-skar-audio-zvx-12v2-33-89-hz-3-0-cu-ft)

Not the same box, they have bigger boxes and I’ve seen other systems with the same amp or even lower power amps still hit harder
The enclosure is the most important part of any sub system. A good box builder can make a 50$ sub sound good. It also sounds like you have some power issues. You definitely need 0 gauge wiring, power and ground, if you don’t already. The “big 3” wiring will help also.

The enclosure is the most important part of any sub system. A good box builder can make a 50$ sub sound good. It also sounds like you have some power issues. You definitely need 0 gauge wiring, power and ground, if you don’t already. The “big 3” wiring will help also.
Thank you. Currently I’m running 100% copper 0 gauge for power and ground and 8 gauge speaker wire, I did away with the terminal cup because it kept burning up the terminals so I wiring the speaker wire straight through the box and sealed it off with silicone. I have three very low power fans that are wired with my remote wire and ground wire into my amp. I’ve researched the RP-2000 amp that I have and I’ve seen most people put the speaker wire into the outmost positive and negative terminals because on the internals of the amp, the wires are directed to those two posts directly, I’m not sure if that could be interfering with anything. On dynos of my amp, I’ve seen it can run upwards of 2600 watts on 1 ohm which is what I have but I will take your advice on the custom and the “big 3” Thank you.

Also I have a cheap head unit ($70) I got a long time ago, do you think the quality of the head unit could be interfering with the quality of my sound system. My new Kicker CS series speakers distort if I go over 25, I want to be able to have the volume all the way up if possible

Cheap head units are cheap for a reason. Also you won't see anywhere near that amount of wattage once you figure in box rise and all that. Watch it with those amplifiers as they are known to go boom at any time. Make sure you do the big 3 in OFC or welding power wire. What brand 1/0 are you running for power/ground wire? The cheaper companies "claim" OFC and in reality they are not.

Cheap head units are cheap for a reason. Also you won't see anywhere near that amount of wattage once you figure in box rise and all that. Watch it with those amplifiers as they are known to go boom at any time. Make sure you do the big 3 in OFC or welding power wire. What brand 1/0 are you running for power/ground wire? The cheaper companies "claim" OFC and in reality they are not.
Rockville RWK01 is the brand. My current amp used to get so hot it would trip into protect mode so that’s why I added the three external fans to it to cook it down. Do you suggest I get a new, higher quality head unit?

Doesn't say if it is OFC or CCA. Rockville is known as a cheap product to begin with. I would find a better company to go with like Sky High or Welding wire for the power and ground. If it was going into protect then as you figured out you were overheating big time. Using a cheap wire that can not flow correctly will possibly cause that. You can use the rest of it but that power and ground really should be upgraded. Buy a 30 foot roll of welding wire and that will be more then enough for a new run of power and ground plus be enough to do the big 3 upgrade underneath the hood. That is around 90 bucks for a roll like that. Unless you can find quality OFC cheaper then that works as well.

Also yeah the head unit should also be upgraded if the source unit is a cheapo then the sound quality from it won't be as good either. Cheap RCA's can cause issues as well.

Those RP amps aren't the best (being nice). Get a good Korean or at least a Sundown SIA. But you have to have good electrical, head unit and amps to deliver power to your subs.

Doesn't say if it is OFC or CCA. Rockville is known as a cheap product to begin with. I would find a better company to go with like Sky High or Welding wire for the power and ground. If it was going into protect then as you figured out you were overheating big time. Using a cheap wire that can not flow correctly will possibly cause that. You can use the rest of it but that power and ground really should be upgraded. Buy a 30 foot roll of welding wire and that will be more then enough for a new run of power and ground plus be enough to do the big 3 upgrade underneath the hood. That is around 90 bucks for a roll like that. Unless you can find quality OFC cheaper then that works as well.

Also yeah the head unit should also be upgraded if the source unit is a cheapo then the sound quality from it won't be as good either. Cheap RCA's can cause issues as well.
I will have to wait for a bit to save up enough for a new head unit and welding wire. I’ll do the big 3 first and upgrade my power ground and then new head unit before I think about getting a new amp. Thank you so much

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...