Squealing

Masonbaim93

My Vehicle has recently been making a intense squealing sound upon first start up, but mainly just when it's cold outside. From what I have listened to it sounds like the timing belt is creating the noise, but many have been saying the belt won't squeak because of the teeth. Also, I just put a new high output alternator in to keep from my lights dimming with my subwoofers, an I don't know if my alternator is the cause or the cold weather. I'm leaning more torwards the alternator, at night when my headlights are on the squeal won't make a sound. However when I stop at a light or let off of the gas and my subs are hitting hard the squeal will start for a short time and will disappear if I let off the gas, or turn my radio down. Also when at idle there is a very faint squeal almost unnoticeable but when I crank my speakers up, the squeal gets extremely loud. So I'm wanting to know if I need to replace my timing belt, or what are the other possibilities.

Vehicle information:

1993 Suzuki Sidekick JX

16 value 4 cylinder 1.6 liter

Alternator-110 amps

Dura last gold battery

(2) 820 watt pioneer amps

(2) 10" alpine type e subwoofers

i dont think its your timing belt but one of your other belts (serpentine) if you have one i suggest tightening your alt first since you have replaced it recently

replace the alternator/serpentine belt and while doing that check the idler and or tensioner pulley. More then likely the belt is old and/or glazed. If it squeals, it's slipping.

As said timing belts can't squeal because of they are cogged and won't slip.

If your vehicle tensions the belts by moving the alternator, then you can try tightening it first. If it has a spring-loaded tensioner, remove the alternator belt and get a new high quality belt. Don't skimp because I'm guessing you want the most out of that alternator. Spin each idler and tensioner pulley and make sure they're smooth and spin freely.

Definitely not your timing belt. If your timing belt "slips" your ignition timing would be off(incorrect) and you would have other issues besides squealing. I agree with everyone else with it being your alternator belt if you have V belts or your serpentine belt if thats what you have. You should replace it asap since it's already glazed from squealing. You don't want it to snap, leaving you stranded. It ***** walking a couple miles to a parts stores just to spend money and walk a couple more miles back to your car. At least it's winter time and cool out side though.

really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Masonbaim93

Masonbaim93
Bloomfield,IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views