Spider Sag

Participant count
  • Participant list

Clifff150
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
I have a BNIB IA Lethal Injection from 2013 that I plan on using. I brought it out today and realized it was stored magnet up (someone forgot to flip it back over after moving it) and there’s considerable spider sag. I have attached some photos. Is this concerning?

Yeah I wasn’t too happy when I pulled it out. I’m going to hook it up and let it play some music and see what happens. Looks like I’ll be using the GCON or Brahma now.

It should want to "return to normal" after a bit. The spider could be stretched, and the surround could be permanently deformed tho.

I'm sure IA would be able to salvage the coil and cone to re-spider it.

Matt

I’ve seen questionable saggy woofers play fine before. You might just try to play it softly and move up in power, see what happens. I’ve seen some woofers that didn’t seem like they should be playable actually play like that fine, but that one is quite saggy, if I’m seeing it correctly. I’ve seen a decent amount of saggy woofers that are old, enough to see a lot of them play, like customer woofers that were old that sagged and still played, at one point. A lot of saggy woofers are probably playing right now, somewhere, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s hard to get it in a photo. I’m going to play some music on it and see what happens. I’m going to contact IA and see if they will sell me a recone kit if it doesn’t work out.

The rfr3110 I just repaired had almost .75" of sag, and it was very soft and would move very easily. I'm no expert but if the spider still has it's rigidity as new I bet you could get it to even back out turned the opposite direction for a while.

The spider is super stiff still which gives me hope. I have it inverted in an old box in my shop for now.

I had the Icon and loved it. My brother in law had the Gcon and he liked it a lot but likes the Icon more because it’s taking more power. Also the box he has is one I made out of scrap mdf and an old aero port so it could be that the box is better suited for the Icon. The Gcon is very well built so if the Lethal Injection doesn’t work out I’ll be just fine lol

The spider is super stiff still which gives me hope. I have it inverted in an old box in my shop for now.

I had the Icon and loved it. My brother in law had the Gcon and he liked it a lot but likes the Icon more because it’s taking more power. Also the box he has is one I made out of scrap mdf and an old aero port so it could be that the box is better suited for the Icon. The Gcon is very well built so if the Lethal Injection doesn’t work out I’ll be just fine lol
With that spider still being stiff I bet it remold back into position. I'm not an expert but just using experience with materials I have encountered over my lifetime I am inclined to believe it would "reset"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Clifff150

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Clifff150
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies