Speakers worked, installed new head unit, now they don't

Participant count
  • Participant list

ProFly

CarAudio.com Newbie
This isn't my first time working with car audio, so I feel like I somewhat know what I'm doing. My friend wanted to do it the cheap way without a wiring adapter so I spliced the stock speaker wires to the head unit. I checked with a multimeter that there is power going through the wires, but it doesn't make it to the speakers. I did some troubleshooting and when I hook a speaker straight to the wires coming out of the head unit, it plays perfectly. It's almost like something is wrong with the stock speaker wires, but that also doesn't add up because everything worked perfectly the day before on the stock head unit. Thanks.

You NEVER cut the stock harness, that is one of the dumbest mistakes that you can make installing a head unit for what saving 5-15 bucks for the harness? Now you are going to have a to buy a stock wiring harness off of sonicelectronix or eBay, rewire that back together and buy a wiring harness and DO IT THE CORRECT WAY! Because I am willing to bet when you cut the stock harness you cut it right at the plug not leaving enough to rewire it correctly.

It should still work without using a harness, and I know I wired it correctly. If it was a new car I would have got him to get a harness, but it's probably a $2,000 car.

speaker.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone else is having this problem, I figured it out. This car has an amp. With me splicing the wires, the amp no longer has power.

1st step is always check what vehicle model they have.  Also look in the interior for some kind of sound system branding like bose, jbl, monsoon, mark levinson etc...  

2nd Doesn't matter what car expensive or cheap. Always use a fking harness. ALWAYS no ifs ands or buts. No excuses thats one of the worse ghetto rig **** you can do in an install period. 

1st step is always check what vehicle model they have.  Also look in the interior for some kind of sound system branding like bose, jbl, monsoon, mark levinson etc...  

2nd Doesn't matter what car expensive or cheap. Always use a fking harness. ALWAYS no ifs ands or buts. No excuses thats one of the worse ghetto rig **** you can do in an install period. 
The cheap way is NEVER the cheap way. Spend the <$20...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.